• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have pets at home insurance???

moi

Mama Doe
Ive been on there site and they cover teeth! And alllooooooooot cheaper than petplan. I know its hypocritical of me taking out an insurance from them when I dont like to shop with them but I need to think of the savings etc x

I'm with PetPlan, which I know can be pricey but they are usually good at paying out. I only have one bun without health problems, so am sort of stuck with PetPlan to get them covered.

I did hear somewhere that Pets at Home weren't too good at paying out, but I have no idea if that's right.

Currently on the phone to them now, haha!

Yes we have it (obviously) for Dee because she was over 5 when we insured her. She had pneumonia, stasis etc the whole shebang last year and they paid out fine. Hopefully they'll pay out this time! They should do. We've always found their customer service to be good, however.

I'm with PetPlan, which I know can be pricey but they are usually good at paying out. I only have one bun without health problems, so am sort of stuck with PetPlan to get them covered.

I did hear somewhere that Pets at Home weren't too good at paying out, but I have no idea if that's right.

Ive 67 buns so pet plan is too expensive for me :(

I'm with pets at home. . They've covered us when necessary and at half the price.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

6 buns not 67!!!! Fat fingers! lol x

I have 6 buns too, and a dog. Their rates vary widely throughout the country though, and I'm probably in a cheap area.

PetPlan do multi animal discounts too, but it is good to know that the Pets at Home will insure over 5's :thumb:

I've had bunnies and cats with PAH insurance for several years and they've always paid out quickly and easily with no problem, including referrals and out of hours vet fees. I know a few people have had horrendous problems with them paying out but I suspect the same is true with every insurer.

I don't think they do insure over 5s (new policies) any more, I thought they changed it a couple of years back...shortly after I insured a 9-year old with them :lol:

Ive been on there site and they cover teeth! And alllooooooooot cheaper than petplan. I know its hypocritical of me taking out an insurance from them when I dont like to shop with them but I need to think of the savings etc x

PetPlan don't rule out teeth, as long as they have been checked regularly. Their excess is, however, horrendous as pets get older.

I've had the PAH insurance for my two for the past 1.5 years. Very pleased with them, they covered most expenses that occurred from an emergency dental and four day hospital stay for one of my buns last year.

The payment got delayed but that wasn't really their fault, my own vet hadn't sent them the medical history when requested when my bun needed emergency treatment elsewhere. I paid for the treatment myself and then claimed it back, they sent me a cheque within three days after I sorted things out with my own vet.

The only thing was that I had to phone PAH myself to find out what had happened, they didn't send any information about the reasons for the delay themselves.

I'm just looking at insurance now as I didn't think it would be worth it, but we've just had a large bill for Rebel and I'd rather not have to pay out so much in one go again. That said, I'm still not sure whether it makes more sense to put the money in a savings account for the buns instead.

I looked at PAH and Petplan. PAH wouldn't give me a quote for one of my buns that is over 4. They also have an extra charge on top of their excess, which is 10% of the remainder of huge bill, so if you got a £300 bill, the excess would be £75 and then you'd pay the extra 10%, which would mean you could only claim back £202. Seemed a bit of a. Rip of to me, only getting 1/3 of the bill back and made insurance seem even more of a waste of time! Petplan were better I think. £3 a month more per bun, but only a £55 excess and none of that extra 10% nonsense. They also offered up to £2000 a year fees, as opposed to £1500.

I'm just looking at insurance now as I didn't think it would be worth it, but we've just had a large bill for Rebel and I'd rather not have to pay out so much in one go again. That said, I'm still not sure whether it makes more sense to put the money in a savings account for the buns instead.

I looked at PAH and Petplan. PAH wouldn't give me a quote for one of my buns that is over 4. They also have an extra charge on top of their excess, which is 10% of the remainder of huge bill, so if you got a £300 bill, the excess would be £75 and then you'd pay the extra 10%, which would mean you could only claim back £202. Seemed a bit of a. Rip of to me, only getting 1/3 of the bill back and made insurance seem even more of a waste of time! Petplan were better I think. £3 a month more per bun, but only a £55 excess and none of that extra 10% nonsense. They also offered up to £2000 a year fees, as opposed to £1500.

I have 6 rabbits insured with Pet Plan and 6 with Pets at Home. Although the excess may start at £55 with PP I've now found four years later the excess on my 6 year old rabbits is £100:shock: So, there might not be any faffing about with the extra 10% but the bill would have to be over £500 before the P@H excess worked out dearer than the PP one (based on PP £55 excess). Add to that that the premium for Esme (6) with PP is £185 (excess £100) and Dinky (6) with P@H is £80 (excess £75 + 10%) by my reckoning I've have another £1000 worth of vet bills (paying the 10% of each £100) before the P@H policy worked out dearer that PP. The ONLY downside I've worked out is the £500 less cover but I've decided the time when I'm likely to spend between £1500 and £2000 in one year is the slim risk I'm willing to take. Even then, I *think* if you are paying 10% as you go along then it takes it to around the same value of the total bill anyway ie the amount you'd get back on a £2K bill.

P@H have always been really good for the claims I've made. On 3 occasions I've put in claims with both firms on the same day and either been paid out on the same day or P@H have sent the cheque first. I've found them extremely helpful on the phone too.

I do see your point, but it's all a bit pointless for me anyway as PAH won't even quote me to insure a rabbit over four years old.

I've just taken out insurance for my youngest rabbit with helpucover after someone on here (I can't remember who) very thoughtfully posted that there was £25 cash back with quidco.

It's only £6 something a month but their dental policy is very poor. You can only claim if you've already had insurance with them for 2 years and had no dental issues in that time. I only overlooked it because he had molar spurs when he came to us so would be excluded anyway.

Back