• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet nurse said my cat if a bit FAT

Erm .... well ..... :lol:
As he's an indoor cat perhaps he needs an exercise bike or cross-trainer?

It's all fur. :D ;)
My old Fuzzy cat always looked huge till he'd get a courtesy shave with his dental. Then we'd always want to know where most of our cat went. :?
He's a lovely looking kitty no matter what his size. :love:

My Zoe cat looks a lot bigger than she actually is because she's also soooo fluffy! Maybe just keep an eye on him. He's very handsome :love:

:love::love:

Skye always looks huge because of all the fur too :lol::lol: but my vet usually goes by feel rather than appearance so, if that's what the vet nurse did too, he might just need to go on that diet. ;):lol:

I really want to tickle that belly!!!!!! Why do animal tummies bring out this uncontrollable urge in me?! Even though I know with cats they'll probably think I'm playing and I'll get claws and teeth! It's so worth it though :lol: the hardest thing about rabbits is resisting this temptation when they're DBFed :lol: I'll be honest I don't always resist :oops: luckily Lilly allows it if I'm gentle :D

My 3 legged boy Monty was 5.4k and that's with one leg less

He went on a diet from the vets, not easy with a multicat household. He got weighed every month at the vets where I got 'told off' that he wasn't loosing fast enough.

Monty was withdrawn, and even with 3 legs became adept at getting food put out of his reach. In 8 month he lost the .4 bit and weighed 5 kilos.

2 years on with no diet he still weighs 5 kilos, a new vets now and they don't have an issue with it.

We did encourage playing, bought one of those runaround track things which brought him back out of his shell.

The original vet just looked on a graph and said he should weigh 4 kilo which when we rescued him after his appalling injuries he weighed 4.5 after being in the vets for weeks. He is a big cat, 4kilos would look awful on him and he would be soooo unhappy

Oh bless him :love: he's so cuddly looking :love: my cat doesn't do toys as such, but he loves chasing a laser pointer, he will run up and down the garden after it, up and down the stairs, round and round in circles, so you could try one of those to encourage some activity :love:

He's stunning.

My ragdoll looked very fat, but we had to shave her :shock: :cry: (she is a rescue and not used to being brushed properly yet) and it's surprising how skinny she looks without her fur. Once she is in all her gorgeous glory again I will post some pictures.

Ragdoll males can be surprisingly heavy; they're not athletic cats. Shakespeare weighs in at almost 7 kilos, and he's by far not the heaviest I've met. But he does look plump... at bathtime he becomes pear-shaped!:lol:

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments :love:

Well it's a bit tricky because he's still growing so I don't want to restrict his food too much, the nurse said he does have fat around his tummy :oops:, and ideally for a cat his size he should be 4kg rather than the 4.7 he is, however, im thinking he may grow into himself (maybe ;))

He's not actually that greedy and I weigh his food out everyday and he gets no extras, he more often than not doesn't eat the whole amount. He's also quite active, he's tearing around like a nutter right now, he loves to play fetch and I have a lazer toy, 'da bird' and balls etc. if I'm up and about he will not sleep and follows me everywhere, he probably sleeps most of the time I'm at work but I know he plays also because the toys are sometimes all over when I get home.

madcatwoman Monty sounds lovely, do you have pictures?

Back