• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Foot injury

Tink123

New Kit
Hi All

Wondered if you could help.

My bunny has recently had a bit of a traumatic time to start with. We've moved him from indoor to outdoor. He was castrated and then yesterday I was letting him runaround the garden he got a bit cheeky so I went to pick him up to take back to his hutch he got all wriggly and panicked so I took him over to the garden bench for a cuddle n to settle him he seemed ok but was ready to jump I let him jump and continued to head towards his hutch, when I heard a panic and his little foot was stuck in the garden bench (between wooden slats) he was literally hangin which gave me such a shock I went to grab him and he'd broken free he ran off to the other side of the garden sitting looking a bit shocked I went over to him and he lay down I have him a good stroke and made sure he was ok he started to hop about again however wouldn't put his foot down. He was running all over. Eventually we got him back into his hutch and he was very huffed and just sat. I left him for a bit and he'd moved to the upstairs of his hutch and seemed to be sitting on his hurt foot.

Am I just being ott or could he have do e some damage he is at the vets tomorrow for a check up anyway is it worth mentioning? Or should I see how he goes?

Many thanks

I would bring the appointment forward to today. He may be in some pain and at the very least he may need some analgesic cover. Pain can cause a Rabbit to stop eating and this can progress to gut stasis. So personally I'd rather act 'OTT' than 'watch and wait'

Good luck

I would bring the appointment forward to today. He may be in some pain and at the very least he may need some analgesic cover. Pain can cause a Rabbit to stop eating and this can progress to gut stasis. So personally I'd rather act 'OTT' than 'watch and wait'

Good luck

Thanks. I've been worried all day I've just got home and let him out he's ate and is continuing to eat plants and grass! And seems to be running around on his foot find. I'll ask them to look tomorrow but i think he's ok

We had this happen - although we did not see it happen we know from the break that resulted that this is how it must have happened. The rabbit (parsley) broke his leg in six places (three places on each of two bones). The incredible thing was that we found him back in a raised hutch area in the garden - so with a triple break and his leg literally hanging backwards and upside down he had hopped back across the lawn and up a ramp.

Never underestimate their ability to hide pain.

I second the importance of never underestimating their ability to hide pain. I have heard of cases where vets put pressure on broken bones and the bunnies don't even flinch :( definitely worth a check over by the vet

I second the importance of never underestimating their ability to hide pain. I have heard of cases where vets put pressure on broken bones and the bunnies don't even flinch :( definitely worth a check over by the vet

Wow really? I'm still pretty new to this. I will definitely mention it at the vets today

Thanks

Wow really? I'm still pretty new to this. I will definitely mention it at the vets today

Thanks

Yes I was shocked too at how extreme it is! But if you think about it the bunny with the broken foot is going to be the one the fox goes for so they have to hide it to survive

Yes I was shocked too at how extreme it is! But if you think about it the bunny with the broken foot is going to be the one the fox goes for so they have to hide it to survive

Yeah that makes sense!

Luckily all was well at the vets and he was signed off as it was his second check up after castration! Happy Bunny!

Thanks for all your help :)

Back