• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies have suddenly turned on eachother

Hollypopsxx

New Kit
I have two beautiful rabbits, Carrot (minilop) and Lola (Lionhead) they have been together since I bought them when they were 8 weeks. They are now 5 months old and were spayed a week ago today, both kept together the entire time. They're still inside my house at the moment in a nice decent size run with a hiding place and they're doing well eating and pooping etc.

However, I have come downstairs this morning and I found a clump of Lola's hair on the floor and I keep catching Carrot chasing her biting her and Lola is getting really scared. Earlier I saw Lola jump on Carrot and try and hump her which I found strange as it is Carrot who is hurting Lola.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do? They've never ever fought before, they've been spayed a week ago and it has just started today. I ideally don't want to separate them because they live together in a hutch, although I can put down the hatch and make two separate hutches but it's not what I would like to do. I feel like I have to watch them constantly but I'm nervous about going to work and leaving them unattended.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

xxx

I'm sorry, that must have been really stressful for you. :( Bunnies do need looooooads of space to run and binky round, and if they can free range and have plenty of enrichment they're far less likely to fight. It does take quite a while for those hormones to die down even after they're spayed, so it could be them reaching sexual maturity that's the problem.

Last edited:
Hopefully it may be a case of if they HADN'T been spayed this would be the time they would start to get hormonal, and I believe even after spaying it takes a little while for hormones to die down. I hope that makes sense. I dont know what to suggest about whether or not to separate. I appreciate it may difficult, but you dont want them to hurt themselves. Are they healed from their surgery?

I'm sure others who have more experience will be able to advise you better.

They will still be hormonal after their spay. It takes about 6 weeks or longer for them to calm down properly. They may also be suffering from Spring Fever, which makes them even worse with chasing and humping.

Hoppit! makes a good point about space. What's the size of their accommodation?

Keep a very close eye on them, if there is any serious nipping or fighting, you will need to separate them.

They have a large run which is probably 5 foot in diameter. The vet did tell me to restrict their running about whilst they recover. Would it may be worth putting them back in their hutch?

Back