• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone ever used this probiotic before?

I am trialling at the moment with my excess caecal bun but as of yet it hasn't made any significant improvement.

I had more improvement from the oxbow digestion tablets - but she was on those for a while before any improvement was seen.

I'm very dubious about FOS, for humans and pets. Personally I avoid probiotics with it (which isn't easy - most have it in). It is supposed to encourage the growth of the 'good' bacteria, but there are lots of people who think that it can do just the same with 'bad' and can't distinguish.

I've used this before. Beware..my buns went ape for it. :shock: They drank about 3ltrs of the water with the Pro-C from VetArk. Apparently it's sweet tasting. :roll: In the end I had to only put it in their water bowl every other day.

I use the Protexin for my bunny who gets excess cecals and tummy problems.

I'm very dubious about FOS, for humans and pets. Personally I avoid probiotics with it (which isn't easy - most have it in). It is supposed to encourage the growth of the 'good' bacteria, but there are lots of people who think that it can do just the same with 'bad' and can't distinguish.

Sorry to ask, but I can't work out what FOS it? :oops:

I've used this before. Beware..my buns went ape for it. :shock: They drank about 3ltrs of the water with the Pro-C from VetArk. Apparently it's sweet tasting. :roll: In the end I had to only put it in their water bowl every other day.

I use the Protexin for my bunny who gets excess cecals and tummy problems.

We've tried Protexin pro fibre but whilst it worked at first a couple of months down the line the problems were back :( the only thing that has seemed to work is Bio Lapis but Sweep needed a whole sachet a day and so it would cost about £60 per month :(. He was on it a few years back on vets orders for about a month when he was having a really bad episode (several times a day)

It's never stuck to his bum, he just leaves it on the floor and it happens sporadically, so over winter there was nothing, and as soon as the hot weather starts he does it more regulary, maybe 2-4 times a month, so it's not a massive issue but I just wish I could find something to help him

Sorry to ask, but I can't work out what FOS it? :oops:

We've tried Protexin pro fibre but whilst it worked at first a couple of months down the line the problems were back :( the only thing that has seemed to work is Bio Lapis but Sweep needed a whole sachet a day and so it would cost about £60 per month :(. He was on it a few years back on vets orders for about a month when he was having a really bad episode (several times a day)

It's never stuck to his bum, he just leaves it on the floor and it happens sporadically, so over winter there was nothing, and as soon as the hot weather starts he does it more regulary, maybe 2-4 times a month, so it's not a massive issue but I just wish I could find something to help him

Is he on grass? It took me ages to figure out what was causing Xena's tummy problems (she was having soft poos and excess cecals as well as mucus). It turned out it was readigrass. :roll: She also gets excess cecals when she is on grass for more than an hour, even if she is used to it. It's something I just keep an eye on. She has the protexin and it seems to really settle her tum, no more loud gurgling and soft poos, and barely any excess cecals this year. :thumb:

It's listed in the ingredients:
Pro-Digest contains Florastimul, a unique combination of prebiotics, fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) and mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS), that positively benefit the microflora of the intestinal tract. Florastimul stimulates the growth of good bacteria and inhibits the attachment of pathogens to the intestinal wall.

It's a prebiotic, supposed to help the good bacteria grow.

Is he on grass? It took me ages to figure out what was causing Xena's tummy problems (she was having soft poos and excess cecals as well as mucus). It turned out it was readigrass. :roll: She also gets excess cecals when she is on grass for more than an hour, even if she is used to it. It's something I just keep an eye on. She has the protexin and it seems to really settle her tum, no more loud gurgling and soft poos, and barely any excess cecals this year. :thumb:

He doesn't have constant access to grass no. He is let out to free range but the episodes don't seem to co-incide with when he has had access to grass, so I don't think that's the issue. For ages last year he was only a hay only diet but he was still having excess caecals :cry:

It's listed in the ingredients:

It's a prebiotic, supposed to help the good bacteria grow.

Oh, thanks :)

He doesn't have constant access to grass no. He is let out to free range but the episodes don't seem to co-incide with when he has had access to grass, so I don't think that's the issue. For ages last year he was only a hay only diet but he was still having excess caecals :cry:

Oh, thanks :)

Hmm. Perhaps it's just something that he will have to deal with. Definitely try the ProC. It did seem to help with my buns, but it made them very hyper. :lol: Probably because they drank 3ltrs of water with the stuff in it before I realised that it was the ProC causing their sudden increase in drinking. :roll:

Hmm. Perhaps it's just something that he will have to deal with. Definitely try the ProC. It did seem to help with my buns, but it made them very hyper. :lol: Probably because they drank 3ltrs of water with the stuff in it before I realised that it was the ProC causing their sudden increase in drinking. :roll:

That does worry me a little, the fact it must be sweet enough to encourage them to drink that much :?

I was always under the impression that Pro-c was very sugary which cannot be good for the guts of a bunny who already has issues.

The only thing that helps poppys cecal issue completely is fibreplex.

The oxbow digestion tabs helped alot but didn't stop it completely.

Pro-fibre, avipro both made it worse.

Back