• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eleven week old rabbit digging at clothes

BunnyMyHunny

Young Bun
Hi, I've got two girl rabbits, I had a pet rabbit as a child but she was an outdoor rabbit these buns are in the house with us. I am definitely new to rabbits. They are very happy together they do a lot of cuddling, grooming, following one another about, etc but one rabbit is quite a bit smaller than the other, she was the littlest in the shop and the larger rabbit seems to be distinctly dominant.

The larger rabbit tends to nip, she doesn't hurt us and she doesn't seem to do it for any particular reason it just happens out the blue she loves to lick us whilst she is being stroked and that tends to be the time when a little nip will happen I think it is just curiosity. She is absolutely obsessed with digging at my clothes though. She does it mostly to me. Is it a dominance thing? I've been tackling it by telling her 'No' in a firm tone and removing her from me when she does it but it's not stopping her at all and I'm starting to get a bit sad because she's doing it constantly so I have to constantly turf her off me! Is it a phase? I've also tried providing tissue, newspapers and old clothing to her as a compensation but it's specifically clothes that I'm wearing that she likes to do it to. What could it mean?

Many thanks for any and all advice.

I think it's normally something that goes away with training and neutering

Unfortunately I have a neutered boy bunny who's now 9 months and he still does it, even after being removed he just hops back up and starts again. It's not all the time, and i think it is when he's trying to assert his dominance - but he's only 3lbs so he's never going to be dominant!

I think it's normally something that goes away with training and neutering

Unfortunately I have a neutered boy bunny who's now 9 months and he still does it, even after being removed he just hops back up and starts again. It's not all the time, and i think it is when he's trying to assert his dominance - but he's only 3lbs so he's never going to be dominant!

Awww he could be dominant over a little teddy maybe lol :) thanks for taking the time to respond, Dumblepaws (your name is so cute lol). I did wonder if perhaps it may be something that stops when she is neutered, on the whole they are well behaved girls so far but Elric (the digger/nipper) is the more feisty and cheeky of the two by far she is very adventurous she climbs and jumps really confidently.

Nearly all of mine do it, they're 2, 3, 7 and 8 years old and all castrated/spayed.

Digging is just a bunny thing, it might be through annoyance that you're in their way (even when you aren't) or just because they want to. One of mine does it a lot if my clothes are baggy.
She might calm down after spaying but rabbits don't always do as they're told, they are very independent animals and will do what they want, when they want.
So you might just have to accept she is a clothes digger :lol:

Nearly all of mine do it, they're 2, 3, 7 and 8 years old and all castrated/spayed.

Digging is just a bunny thing, it might be through annoyance that you're in their way (even when you aren't) or just because they want to. One of mine does it a lot if my clothes are baggy.
She might calm down after spaying but rabbits don't always do as they're told, they are very independent animals and will do what they want, when they want.
So you might just have to accept she is a clothes digger :lol:

Thank you for your reply, your bunnies are lovely <3 :). Well it's good to know that it's a fairly usual thing to do since the other bunbun doesn't do it at all. If her doing that isn't going to lead to lots of biting and aggression then I'm not too fussed by it to be honest I was just anxious that simply ignoring her doing it and not finding a way to stop her might make her decide she is top bunny in the house and lead to her biting everybody :S which would be disaster as right now both bunnies have a fantastic relationship with my little daughter along with me and my husband.

Back