• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know when to help and when to stop?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Feeling a bit. :(

Grim has been ill for so long. He's stopped eating. He's only eaten a few mouthfuls in the last 24 hours. :(

He does often do this when the weather changes dramatically, especially when it gets hot. He's old, he's been very ill for a long time and I just don't think aggressive treatment at the vets is the right thing for him. He's blind, he's got no teeth, he's lost his balance and he's very snuffly. I don't think I should put him on a drip and have a vet force feeding him. So I've just left him with all his favourite soft foods. It's really hard. I know he might still be eating a little. He's still pooing. He might pick up. He probably will as he always does. But if he doesn't... it's just really hard.

How do you know when you should stop intervening. Is it the right thing to do? :(

It is really hard as we question whatever we do :cry:
I sometimes question if I let gypsy carry on too long, but had I let her go I would wonder if I had done the right thing.

I guess there is no right or wrong. Whatever you do will be the right thing

Hugs xxx

It's hard. :( I think if you are questioning that if it is the right thing, then you shouldn't do it. Give him every chance to recover and if he doesn't, you know he is letting you know it's time.

Sending Grim lots of vibes. I have always had a soft spot for him. x

Thanks.

I'm just happy he made it to an old man. I didn't think he'd make it to five, and he's eight now.

It's our TV night tonight. Every Tuesday I spend the night in with Grim and we watch TV. So he'll have loads of cuddles and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks.

I'm just happy he made it to an old man. I didn't think he'd make it to five, and he's eight now.

It's our TV night tonight. Every Tuesday I spend the night in with Grim and we watch TV. So he'll have loads of cuddles and we'll see how it goes.

:love::love:

I'm sure you'll do the right thing, its so difficult to know what to do for the best xxx

If he's eating and trogging along it's difficult to know where to 'draw the line'. But do you have to make a decision, if he's comfortable? If he's not suffering and looking miserable all the time, then he's just an old man who needs your tenderness and love :love:

Sometimes I feel this twilight period is a wonderful bonding time and in a way it's good to keep it as worry free as possible for you.

If he's eating and trogging along it's difficult to know where to 'draw the line'. But do you have to make a decision, if he's comfortable? If he's not suffering and looking miserable all the time, then he's just an old man who needs your tenderness and love :love:

Sometimes I feel this twilight period is a wonderful bonding time and in a way it's good to keep it as worry free as possible for you.

Oh he's happy. :)

I'm just worried because he's basically stopped eating over the last 36 hours and I don't know whether to intervene with veterinary treatment or not. :?

Having just been in this situation and taken the decision to pts its close to my heart.

Personally I took the following into consideration in my case. Was he suffering - yes even with max pain relief he was tooth grinding at times. Was there a realistic chance that being admitted to vets with intensive and not pleasant treatment he would recover - not very. How old was he - nearly 9 and had a wondeful life with us past 4 years so he was an old un. Could the underlying health problem/s be cured with vet treatment or would any relief be short lived - he had underlying gastric trouble all his life so almost certainly he would succumb again very soon.

On top of that he was terrified of leaving the house and the thoght of him being in terror on his own at vets with intrusive treatment that might not work made up our minds for us.

This may not help but answering the above questions may help you decide what to do.

I know you will do whats right.

Oh he's happy. :)

I'm just worried because he's basically stopped eating over the last 36 hours and I don't know whether to intervene with veterinary treatment or not. :?

I would treat at home and see if you can get him interested in eating ..

I don't have anything helpful to add that hasn't already been said except for that I've been thinking a lot about you and Grim lately and I very much hope he decides to start eating again soon.
We love you Grim :love::love::love: C'mon buddy, noms are yummy (((((Vibes))))))
(((((((Huge hugs)))))) for you Jenova. xxxxxxxx

I don't have anything helpful to add that hasn't already been said except for that I've been thinking a lot about you and Grim lately and I very much hope he decides to start eating again soon.
We love you Grim :love::love::love: C'mon buddy, noms are yummy (((((Vibes))))))
(((((((Huge hugs)))))) for you Jenova. xxxxxxxx

I second this :wave: I just went and looked (again) at Grimlock playing with the washing. Such a lovely video ..

I second this :wave: I just went and looked (again) at Grimlock playing with the washing. Such a lovely video ..

It is a lovely video. Best wishes to you and Grim at this difficult time.

Have a good tv evening together x

Thank you everyone.

He's just been in the nebuliser for half an hour and now he's back in his 'cupboard'. I've put food and water in there.

He's been chilled out, bunny flopped in the cupboard, so he's still happy.

We're going to have snuggles and watch Game of Thrones in a bit. :love:

He's eaten a little bit of readybrek. Not ideal I know, but it's food.

He's really struggling to breathe so I know it's the weather affecting his snuffles and because he can't breathe very well he doesn't want to eat as he can't do both. :(

I've popped him in the nebuliser again this morning so I'm hoping that makes a little bit of a difference. Just going to ring the vets for some advice too.

Back