• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is the right type of brush for buns with thick fur?

Rabcat

Mama Doe
Hi All :wave:

My Millie has extremely thick fur but especially so at her back end which gets matted easily. What is the best type of brush for fur like this? I have a small slicker brush which isn't much use really.

I'm really worried about hurting her with the wrong type of brush but I must sort this out for her.

Many thanks :D

Hi All :wave:

My Millie has extremely thick fur but especially so at her back end which gets matted easily. What is the best type of brush for fur like this? I have a small slicker brush which isn't much use really.

I'm really worried about hurting her with the wrong type of brush but I must sort this out for her.

Many thanks :D

I got this little set from pets at home >
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/mini-grooming-set

It explains quite well how each brush is supposed to be used. Its on the back of the package and there in the description on the website. the two soft brushes don't seem to bother my two at all. I find the one in the middle gets the most fluff off them and they don't seem to mind being groomed with it too much.

I got this little set from pets at home >
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/mini-grooming-set

It explains quite well how each brush is supposed to be used. Its on the back of the package and there in the description on the website. the two soft brushes don't seem to bother my two at all. I find the one in the middle gets the most fluff off them and they don't seem to mind being groomed with it too much.

Hiya

I have this set and the brush and comb just cant really get through Millie's fur. They are fine for the other buns however. Its almost like she is sitting on a cushion! :shock:

I find that once they're matted the only way to get the matts out safely is to tease them out with fingers and then comb/brush through.

I find that once they're matted the only way to get the matts out safely is to tease them out with fingers and then comb/brush through.

Hiya

I have been doing this as well but wondered if there was anything else I could do. I had to trim loads of it last night but still have loads to go!

I use a widish cat comb then go through it again with a finer one.

I trim Caspers fur alot this time of year especially around his eyes and rear end as although he's healthy it must get very hot carrying all that around.

Back