• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it okay to inbreed?

ponderousa

New Kit
I have a doe that I would like to breed to her half brother, is that to closely related? And what about breeding to a parent or full sibling?

Depends . Inbreeding any animal isn't necessarily bad and a lot of breeders do it responsibly. It's called line breeding. But if you're just letting rabbits inbreed wily nily for no reason then yeah that's bad. The more inbred an animal is - like generation upon generation of inbreeding - the more likely bad genes will come out in the offspring because of the small gene pool.

I'd recommend the forum bunnytoes linked to as well :) No one on here breeds buns so that forum will have more advise to give than here.

Not if it can be in anyway avoided. I used to breed snakes so as much as I dislike it, I can see why it's necessary in some situations when you have recessive genes. But you don't want to do it just because you want to & that's all the rabbits you have if that makes sense. I had a friend who a few years ago got hold of a pair of snakes to breed who at that time were really rare here & so terribly inbred.... Some were born with three eyes, eyes in the wrong place, deformities. *shudder* he had to euthanise all of them as he couldn't keep them & he didn't want others to breed from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I'm aware you should never breed siblings/half siblings for any reason. I think when people line breed it is 'parent to child'

I would be very wary of any animal that had been bred with a relative but that may be just me!

As far as I'm aware you should never breed siblings/half siblings for any reason. I think when people line breed it is 'parent to child'

I would be very wary of any animal that had been bred with a relative but that may be just me!

I agree. Line breeding is usually mother to son and father to daughter. I don't think breeding siblings is a risk worth taking.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Back