• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit attacked neighbour :(

funnybun

Young Bun
I really think i need to let off some steam tonight :(
Tonight i was sat inside my house chatting to my sister when i heard a scream outside, i went out to find my next door neighbour stood in front of the rabbit shed dripping blood from her hand (lot's of blood).

It turns out she had decided for some unknown reason to come into my garden and check that my rabbits had plenty of water due to the hot weather :shock:
She had then decided to open the conti shed and try and handle one of my girls, apparently my conti lunged at her and attacked her for no reason :censored:
Yes she needed to go to A&E to get stitches, but because i wasn't very sympathetic towards her she's now sending some not so nice texts saying she's reporting me to the authorities and going to get my rabbits removed from my property!

My point was that she had no rights at all to come into MY garden and mess with MY rabbits but she just says she was doing the neighbourly thing and was concerned about my rabbits with the warm weather!
I'm fuming...my rabbits have everything they need and more....now i'm worried by what she's going to do next, i don't want to lose my rabbits.
My girl isn't nasty, she must have been scared to have a stranger go in to grab her.
Could i have my bunnies taken away due to this incident? and what should i do now regarding my neighbour? any advice would be greatly appreciated :cry:

I'd report it first if I were you. She sounds dodgy to me. I'm presuming your buns are never usually aggressive? She must have done something really bad. (Other than Trespass!)
Your rabbits are not a danger to public so I don't see how they could be taken away from you after what happened.
Good luck with it I hope someone has some better advice than me!

How ridiculous! Tell her that you'll report her for trespass and criminal damage or something, that might make her think twice! I would also go out and get a padlock for the shed pretty quick, something that needs a key or combination code to get in. I wouldn't worry about the authorities, I'm not sure how well "even though my neighbour was home and I could have knocked and asked, I decided that I would trespass on her property and as a consequence, an animal that I shouldn't have handled because I shouldn't have been there hurt me" would go down. If you get a padlock, in the unlikely event of a visit from the authorities, you just simply show them that the issue cannot recur because the neighbour does not have access to the animals even if they chose to trespass again. Do you think her story about why she was looking is true, or do you think she had another motive like taking her?

sorry am not a legal person but woud recommend seeking profesional legal advice as they usualy offer one session for free,shoud be able to get some hard facts out of that.

however,the fact the girl came onto private property shoud mean they cant do anything-she was tresspassing and handling animals that werent hers.
rabbits have a totaly different thought process to humans-they see the world differently being prey animals, theyre hyper vigilant to their surroundings and any sign of trouble will set off their defensive instincts,its not the rabbits fault and kids shoud be taught the common sense not to stray onto other peoples property let alone handle animals that arent theirs,if the parents cant do that they shoud make sure their garden fencing is kiddy proofed.

[edit]
is the neighbour an adult or child?

Last edited:
Santa's right, this wouldn't stand up re the authorities. Tbh who would she report it to? The police? They wouldn't even investigate I'm sure and would be asking why she'd stuck her hand in there in the first place. I'm sure bunnies would be classed as "wild animals" anyway so it's a bit like being bitten by a badger or such like.

Having said all that, I'd be tempted to lodge a notice with the police first, saying that the neighbour took it upon herself to trespass and open a secure animal pen and handle the animal WITHOUT your permission. The suggestion of a padlock us a good one, shows you've taken steps to sort it should your neighbour decide to trespass again.

Eta - I'd also POST a letter to her (recorded signed for del) asking her to stop interfering with your animals as she is potentially doing harmful things to them.

Hope you're ok.

Last edited:
Thanks, i will try and get some legal advice tomorrow before she does....this wasn't a child, this was a grown woman!
i did wonder if she had any other motive but she actually had a jug of water with her :?
It's the same woman that was throwing pieces of chocolate to my dogs last week...i've really had enough of her interferring with my animals :cry:

From the fact that she's been texting you, I'd assume you're normally friendly with one another?

I then guess it would depend on how you wanted your future relationship to move forward, if there is one left?

It sounds like a very odd situation and one where I would be calling authorities, rather than the other way around...

That is crazy that she broke into your shed and wants to report you. In the state that I live in in the US you can actually shoot someone who breaks into your property.
She sounds suspicious to me. I agree with others who said get a lock and report her first.

From the fact that she's been texting you, I'd assume you're normally friendly with one another?

I then guess it would depend on how you wanted your future relationship to move forward, if there is one left?

It sounds like a very odd situation and one where I would be calling authorities, rather than the other way around...

we're not really "friends"...she's a nosey neighbour that has done nothing but interfere since she moved in 4 yrs ago, we simply tolerate her because we're neighbours but i feel this was a step too far.
Our garden is pretty secure and we have a padlock on the gate but today i had been doing work at the side of the house so it was left open, she knew that too.
She's always been really strange but just lately she seems to have a fixation with my pets and it's quite worrying, especially now :?

we're not really "friends"...she's a nosey neighbour that has done nothing but interfere since she moved in 4 yrs ago, we simply tolerate her because we're neighbours but i feel this was a step too far.
Our garden is pretty secure and we have a padlock on the gate but today i had been doing work at the side of the house so it was left open, she knew that too.
She's always been really strange but just lately she seems to have a fixation with my pets and it's quite worrying, especially now :?

In all honesty. I don't know who you could report that to then that would take any notice (police will just not care). Can you put up extra locks and maybe a cheap camera system and then make diary notes when she's being strange/invading property to build up a case for when you need to take it further?

To be honest, she sounds like a meddlesome neighbour that doesn't have much awareness of boundaries. The water thing is understandable, not something I would personally do but if you are usually friendly with her or if she doesn't understand the boundaries, she was probably either concerned for their welfare or trying to be helpful. I know you are hurt by her assumption but have you never judged a neighbour or an acquaintance without knowing the full picture? It is very easy to do and she probably had good intentions, and maybe thought you'd gone out and not topped up the water.

I doubt she meant any harm and I think she's just kicking off because she was humiliated when the rabbit attacked her and you then caught her. I wouldn't worry about it at all, I doubt she means it; just get a lock for the shed and try not to let things turn too sour between you, as you are neighbours. I'm sure she will calm down and hopefully she has learnt her lesson! Even if she tried to take things further, I can't see how she's have any grounds to get the rabbits removed, but honestly I don't think she'll even try, as long as it doesn't turn into a feud.

To be honest, she sounds like a meddlesome neighbour that doesn't have much awareness of boundaries. The water thing is understandable, not something I would personally do but if you are usually friendly with her or if she doesn't understand the boundaries, she was probably either concerned for their welfare or trying to be helpful. I know you are hurt by her assumption but have you never judged a neighbour or an acquaintance without knowing the full picture? It is very easy to do and she probably had good intentions, and maybe thought you'd gone out and not topped up the water.

I doubt she meant any harm and I think she's just kicking off because she was humiliated when the rabbit attacked her and you then caught her. I wouldn't worry about it at all, I doubt she means it; just get a lock for the shed and try not to let things turn too sour between you, as you are neighbours. I'm sure she will calm down and hopefully she has learnt her lesson! Even if she tried to take things further, I can't see how she's have any grounds to get the rabbits removed, but honestly I don't think she'll even try, as long as it doesn't turn into a feud.

In all honesty. I don't know who you could report that to then that would take any notice (police will just not care). Can you put up extra locks and maybe a cheap camera system and then make diary notes when she's being strange/invading property to build up a case for when you need to take it further?

These.

Your rabbits are not a danger to the public, so the police certainly won't do anything. She could call the RSPCA, but they'll take the rabbits side :lol:

Maybe talk to her tomorrow, explain why you think the rabbit attacked so she is more aware of the required boundaries of.buns. Make it clear that you understand her good.intentions, but that she's a stranger to them, and they're easily startled and scared etc

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

It certainly was a step too far. I can't see how she could get anywhere by reporting it to authorities. She would just be incriminating herself as a trespasser plus rabbits aren't classed as dangerous animals.

Defo get that lock for your own piece of mind.

Perhaps you should report her because surely that kind of behaviour would be classed as a nuisance neighbour/antisocial behaviour. Log dates when she does things & what she does as that's the first thing they ask you anyway.

Nose rubs to your girl who must have been scared x

What a nut case!
Firstly her 'case' wouldnt stand as she is the one in the wrog so I dont think you need to worry but as others have said I would report her so its on file.
To be honest with you I would be tempted to house your rabbits in q very secure shed so if her intentions were to harm your rabbits she will not be able to get to them as she would ve able to in an outdoor hutch.

I would be ringing the non emergency police number asap. Her throwing chocolate over your fence is a crime - she could kill your dog(s). She also has no right to enter your garden without your permission, let alone enter your shed where she knows there are rabbits. I'm fairly sure the police would have a serious word with her, more with the dog thing rather than the bunny thing. Police are very up on potential poisonings to pets. It's disgusting behaviour and she shouldn't be allowed to continue, I'd definitely nip it in the bud. I have no sympathy at all for anyone endangering other peoples pets lives for no other reason than being a busy body. Hopefully a stern warning will stop this behaviour in any shape or form.

I will try and speak to her tomorrow i think but she really doesn't understand boundries, we have put up with so much since she moved in....she constantly comes round when she sees anyone turn up at my house, she doesn't knock she walks straight in any time day or night no matter what i'm doing or who is here.
She carries on to feed my dogs chocolate even tho i've told her it's dangerous to them.
I've had another text 10 mins ago demanding i reimburse her taxi fares to the hospital and back, she can see i'm still awake so will just keep texting, i will have to turn my lights out i guess :?

I will try and speak to her tomorrow i think but she really doesn't understand boundries, we have put up with so much since she moved in....she constantly comes round when she sees anyone turn up at my house, she doesn't knock she walks straight in any time day or night no matter what i'm doing or who is here.
She carries on to feed my dogs chocolate even tho i've told her it's dangerous to them.
I've had another text 10 mins ago demanding i reimburse her taxi fares to the hospital and back, she can see i'm still awake so will just keep texting, i will have to turn my lights out i guess :?

She sounds like a creep.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

She has no recourse against you. You need to complain about her and try to have a stern word with her, start by not paying for the taxi. She doesn't sound like the sort of person who you can be subtle with?!?

I agree with yaretzi and if this woman is still throwing chocolate to your dogs after you asked her not to she is unhinged and very likely trying to harm them. I could not imagine what she would do with a helpless rabbit. (Although your bun had no compunction in telling her where to go!)
Poor things were probably scared out of their wits seeing a stranger meddling with them. :(
Report it. Simples. Something needs doing and each case where she steps across the line will back you up that she needs watching. Good luck.

Back