• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur instructions...

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Does anyone else find the 'graduations' confusing or am I just dim?! :lol: I think I might have been overdosing my lot :oops: which I've just checked and they won't come to any harm! I thought I was doing it right (after reading instructions) just going to the next black line but after doing some online research I came across a diagram that showed it is between the notch and the black line, not two black lines? So I tried this tonight but I'm still not sure I'm doing it right! Seemed like such a tiny amount!

Never had Panacur but am currently giving Lapizole which is basically the same. Are you confused about the syringe? I know I struggled with Lapizole the first time I gave it as I didn't read the instructions and swore at the bottle for being so difficult to administer until I read them, and then utilized the plastic contraptions :oops:

Never had Panacur but am currently giving Lapizole which is basically the same. Are you confused about the syringe? I know I struggled with Lapizole the first time I gave it as I didn't read the instructions and swore at the bottle for being so difficult to administer until I read them, and then utilized the plastic contraptions :oops:

Is lapizole not a liquid though? Where as panacur is a paste. I was supposed to be getting lapizole but the vets couldn't get hold of it so gave me panacur instead, I think a paste is prob better for mine as they can't spit/drool it out like a liquid! As Dash has been doing with his other meds!! But I just wish the dosage was automatic or something!

This is what's confusing:

Mine should have one graduation but the dial is so loose and big compared to the size of the graduation that it just doesn't seem like an accurate measurement :roll: Maybe it doesn't matter so much if you can't really overdose them, but I'm sure they could make it easier!

That diagram makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I am giving 1ml twice a day to both rabbits with a 1ml syringe.

*toddles off to google what on earth Panacur graduation means*

Why not use the Panacur 10% Liquid

Dose is 0.2ml/kg/day if using as part of the treatment for EC

So much easier !! It works out more economical too

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html

This is what I ended up doing after really struggling with the panacur syringes and three 1.5kg-2kg rabbits. Much easier and accurate to administer the 10% liquid using a 1ml syringe. It's usually sold as a wormer for dogs / cats and you don't need a prescription.

The graduations are for a 'standard' 2.5kg rabbit. 1 graduation is between the staggered marks (top and bottom row), or half way between the marks on one row. Therefore the marks along 1 row (shown as 2 graduations in the diagram) are for a 5kg rabbit. I found it very difficult to see and judge where the graduations were if dosing straight into a bunny's mouth. Even if you put it eg on a leaf, the dose seemed to vary a lot. It also doesn't help when they don't like the taste of it.

Hmm feel a bit better that it's not just me then!! I do like the paste though as like I said on e it's in their mouth they've got to deal with it :lol: I find liquids hit and miss whether it actually stays in their :roll: but I'm guessing if it's such a small amount it will be easier?! I've got about 6 unused tubes of panacur paste though :shock:

Back