• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smelly bottom!

Mariac1510

Young Bun
That fearful time of year is upon us again... fly season! My biggest fear.

Bluebell has already had flystrike once before and we were fortunate to get to her in time. We have been giving her regualr baths but it takes such a long time to get her dry ( she is a fluffy one) and i can't get the smell of urine from her backside.

She recently with the vets direction has had a diet change and her urine is orange, i think this is from the kale / greens. Her bed is changed daily, more if needed and all her run and bunny house is fly netted.

What else can i do as the vet is still worried about her stinky bum?

Many thanks

Hi

What is her diet exactly? What pellets is she on?

Can you give us some more info?

There are a few people on here who have bunnies in similar situations and will be able to give you great advice.

Nikki

Hi

What is her diet exactly? What pellets is she on?

Can you give us some more info?

There are a few people on here who have bunnies in similar situations and will be able to give you great advice.

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

She has a small amount of this http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...d-treats/rabbit-food/adult-nugget-rabbit-food
once a day then kale, grass ( not a huge amount) and hay. We cut out carrots after she lost her bottom teeth and had an abscess.

Since we have changed the diet her poo has firmed up a lot, the poo only gets stuck as she is so fluffy, we had her shaved around 4 weeks ago and i do need to trim her again, yesterday when she had a bath i clipped out any stuck on poop. At the moment the orange smelly wee is more the issue. It's all down her back legs too

She is having another bath tonight and i need to get her dry! :shock:

Hi :wave:

Not yet, is it okay to use on bonded bunnies, will they not lick it off?

I wouldn't let them lick it when it's still wet, but it dries pretty quickly so if you separate them until it dries or at least monitor them, they should be fine.

Hi

The first thing I would do is perhaps cut out/ down on the kale. Some bunnies really don't get on with it. Try introducing spring greens and some herbs instead.

I would definitely give her another trim as well if she is really fluffy - what breed is she?

Also have a look on thehayexperts.co.uk website - it tells you all about how to apply reguard.

Good luck
Nikki

Hi Happy Hop.
She had another bath tonight and I managed to get some fur off her bottom. I think we may just need to bath her 3 times a week and trim her little and often.

I am hoping with everywhere fly netted, rear guard, lavender around they run/ house we have a safe chance..

Back