• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD/ Caught the wild rabbit. (with pics)

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:

There is a very tiny wild rabbit living under Donny and Lola's shed.. I won't be home until about half 1 so I'm going off what my sister and mom have told me.

It was bounding around the garden last night eating the plants. It went up to Charley who promptly chased it off, Donny and Lola were in the shed the whole time.
My sister and mom told me it was a wild one, but I need to see for myself because it's just the one apparently and where we live isn't exactly prime wildie territory.
Main road, noisy pub next door, built up area etc. There are loads around where my bf lives but wild rabbits aren't common where I live so it's very odd that a lone rabbit has decided to make house under my shed.. How it got there I don't know and how it will 'move on' I really don't know. We live on the main road in and out of the village and it's always busy, we and the neighbours aren't near fields unless it crossed a few roads to get there. Don't know how it will get out, don't really want a colony forming in our small garden :?

All 3 are vaccinated, Donny and Lola are actually due theirs and their appointment is Wednesday but I know the vaccination doesn't just stop working so I'm not too worried about that. More so of any injuries that might happen if they could :? or referred aggression.

Do we need to get in touch with someone?
I have an old carrier.. Should we try to catch it and my bf can release it into the chickens old pen where there are a few baby rabbits living at the moment.

Where it is disappearing into isn't accessible unless you're my sister. There is no way I can get my backside down the back of the shed, it's less than a foot between that and the wall. My sister followed it and it went under right in the middle of the shed. My sister did actually say when my parents arrived home it stayed in the garden until they got out of the car. She had already gone into the garden via the very noisy french doors.

Over the past week or whatever I have seen no sign of rabbits in the garden, even though I wasn't looking there were/are no tell tale signs of wild rabbits.

No idea what to do.. :(

Last edited:
Does seem a bit strange, one wildie on it's own, I think I would want to try and see it for myself to identify if it is a wildie or a domestic with wildie colouring.

Ether way you need to catch it, identify it and then decide what needs doing, if it is on it's own it is probably going to be a bit scared.

Maybe it heard that yours was a good place for a bunny to live.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was more than one there, we have wildies and I only ever see the babies out on their own. We have a burrow under one of the sheds and all I ever see is one baby bunny on the lawn, who runs off back under the shed when he sees me. But I know the rest of the family are around somewhere. The absent parenting also seems to apply to the babies when they emerge from the nest, not just when they're in it! It's also possible that the one bunny you keep seeing is actually more than one bunny, but a number of baby wildies one at a time would all look very alike!

It is possible I guess, I know someone else who has a baby wildie who seems to have adopted their garden (possibly due to their warren being disturbed over the road) but I'd have thought it just as likely that mum is around too, somewhere.

Definitely a wildie and definitely the only one. The only way into our garden is via the road or a tall fence, so really no idea how it got here.

We've managed to block off areas it was living in under the shed, I just want it out of the garden now because Charley is going psycho and literally bouncing off the walls and Donny and Lola had a massive scrap when it was eating near them. Had to put them in darkness and block the sides of the run with sheets and things. Catching it seems impossible.. This is why I can't let the rabbits free range, there are too many places to hide!

Last edited:
Thank god for that.. Took my bf and I 10 minutes! .. He ended up picking it up, very tiny thing. I had created a mini burrow by stuffing loads of hay into an old carrier and we put it in there.

I'm hoping the drive here didn't stress it out enough to kill it, but we've left the carrier in the old chicken pen. Lots of food/shelter in there so hopefully it is okay!

A very brave rabbit! I managed to get some really good pictures of it ..better than any I have taken of my own!

In front of the above ground burrow I made, it went in there once :lol: I tried to tempt it in with hawthorn and grass but it just ate it and stayed underneath the hutch!

It chased a birdie!

Aww that is tiny, cheeky too chasing the bird :lol: hope your three settle down now you've caught him.

What are you going to do with the wildie?

Aww that is tiny, cheeky too chasing the bird :lol: hope your three settle down now you've caught him.

What are you going to do with the wildie?

It's in the pen now so hopefully it makes its own way out, I'll go and check it's actually okay and out of the carrier soon though. There is an old chicken feeder with water that I leave in there for the other rabbits that go in there :oops: It will be able to leave the pen and be free, but it will be a bit of extra security from foxes whilst he/she finds his feet :)

Back