• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheap rabbit-safe litters that will fit into an 80L bin.

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I'm finding my latest bag of megazorb to really stink, and it's meaning that I can't spend a lot of time in the shed with N&T because of the smell. I know some people have had luck with them changing the bag back to the hessian style, any idea if any of the big suppliers online have the hessian style bags again? My local horse place has only just got the plastic bags in so I assume it'll be a good while before they get the hessian ones back again. I used to order from the hay experts so I'd be happy to order from them again.

I'm in a difficult situation whereby I live at home and my parents are very particular. I have an 80L (clean) bin outside which I decant my megazorb into and that's okay with my parents. I need an alternative to megazorb which will fit the entire bag in the bin, with nothing left over. I am not allowed to store any extra bedding anywhere else, it all has to go into the bin.

It needs to be biodegradeable as I put it all into the garden waste bin.

It also needs to be fairly cheap - I don't mind paying £15 or so to fill the bin up, but I wouldn't want to spend any more than that. I don't fancy wood pellet litter - I used it before and didn't like it as much as I like megazorb. It's too heavy and I dislike the wood smell.

So basically, does anyone have any recommendations that'll fit entirely into the bin?

I know of fitch... can anyone confirm whether that fits into an 80L bin? I know there's two sizes, 10 and 20kg - if you could say which one fits that'd be great. Same with aubiose and other hemp bedding, plus any other recommendations. No shavings, obviously. And I won't use just newspaper and hay, I don't like it.

Hopefully someone has some suggestions, I'm getting sick of this smell!

Last edited:
I've not found another bedding that fits into an 80l bin to be honest - Fitch doesn't as it expands loads when you take it out of the bag(only had 20kg but not even half went in), Auboise doesnt, eco bed doesn't

I have the same thing in that I only really have room in my 80l bin currently, I can store extra but it gets in the way and is really annoying. Luckily I like Megazorb so even if I try a new one I always end up going back to it tbh!

I hope you do find an alternative, although I've never had an issue with Megazorb smelling strange and I've had it in the plastic sacks 20+times at least. Maybe try another supplier?

fitch doesn't fit in in it's original bag, and out of the bag it's about two and a quarter 80ltr boxes. the smaller bag might just fit if you squash it down alot.

because fitch would be in a box, could you not store one box in your bedroom maybe? on top of a cupboard maybe? :wave:

Is it just two bunnies you're catering for? I use recycled paper cat litter. I only get small bags as I've just got the one small bunny bum but expect they sell it in larger sizes.

Back