• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured Balding Patchy Rabbit...Advice?

vickyface__x

New Kit
Hey Guys,
Ive noticed a hideous scab around my buns left ear, and some bald patches all over his back. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some tips hints or advice on the situation. Hes booked in on thursday for his routine check up, but i want to go armed with lots of questions for the vets and know what the vet should do really.

So the bald spots...Ive never really noticed them before and you cant see them if you were just looking at him straight on. There are about four or five over his back and ive noticed hes got some smaller scabs but not in the bald spots and non of them are open wounds, could this be mites or fleas? His skin does flake a little bit which makes me think mites...but i wouldve thought the bald bits would be near the scabs?
Or is it just cause hes had a dodgy moult?

Now the brutal bit
This wound is about an inch long, and curves all around his left ear, its looking pretty well damn healed, but i dont know how it got there
Ive checked his enclosure and theres nothing really sharp for him to cut himself on. Only a willow house which he has chewed so stray sticks are about.
Could he have itched himself into this if its mites?
It looks too big for that and defined.
Should I clean it up?
or is it well healed already?
I literally have no idea what to do!!
it looks like the scab is about to fall off, so im reluctant to touch it incase it opens up

Thank you to anyone who can help us
Other than that hes still my number one cutie :)

The first ones are showing new hair growth and look fairly healthy. It could be moult but they neat patches look more like a bald spot filling in.

Rabbits scab up quickly so that wound could be a day or so old, and their scabs are always a bit ugly too. I wouldn't put anything on it or poke it about. If it's red around the edge or swollen then it needs vet treatment - they may give ab's as a precaution anyway.

It could be from injury or it could be mites and from scratching.

Back