• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Further to my thread yesterday

Katex

Warren Scout
Asking about my quiet baby bunny, I have had her to the emergency vet this afternoon :(

She was fine, flopping out all relaxed in a plant pot this morning, but still very quiet. I thought (gut instinct) that she hadn't had a lot to drink so hand fed her some water from a bottle, which she gulped down. I then gave her a bowl and she stood lapping water like there was no tomorrow, I don't know why she didn't drink much from the water bottles I had provided (although she MAY have, I'm just assuming she hadn't because she seemed so thirsty).

I went out this afternoon, and came back to the hutch covered in mucus. When I picked her up her entire stomach was covered in sticky poo and mucus. I am assuming that the water has over stimulated her gut and it's all exploded out - does that sound reasonable?

The vet said her temp is normal, her eyes are bright, her tummy is "doughy" and normal….but her gut sounds slow :( she was given a gut stimulating injection. The vet didn't seem too concerned, but said she needs to start eating and drinking. I brought her home and straightaway she started to eat hay, not much but it's the first time I've seen her eat hay (although, again, she MAY have eaten hay - in the middle of the night).

I really hope the outlook is good for her, she hasn't touched her food at all as far as I know but has eaten a bit of hay. And had a drink.

Please give me your opinion.

its good you've got her to the vet and they gave gut stimulant, I missed your earlier thread sorry, sounds positive that she is nibbling at hay, keep an eye on other imput offering fresh herbs etc, and check her poo's to make sure they are not to soft or to small and hard

Did the Vet not suggest admitting her ? She is a baby isn't she ? If so the symptoms you describe are indicative of a potentially serious problem (mucoid enteritis) and IMO she should be hospitalised for intensive care.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Mucoid_EnteropathyRabbits.htm

Fluids and pain relief are absolutely essential. Fluids being administered either IV or subcutaneously.

If she is not drinking you need to start syringing cooled boiled water into her, at least 20ml/kg/hour. Do make sure she does not become chilled, so provide a heat pad if necessary, preferably have her indoors overnight.

Dont feed her anything but hay. A small amount of pellets could be offered, but dont feed her any veg etc.

All of the above advice is on the assumption that we are talking about a baby Rabbit ??

Yes she's a baby.

The vet didn't seem too concerned as her temp, how the stomach felt etc were normal. She cleaned up all the mucus from her stomach, and Daisy hasn't had any more bouts of mucus since. In fact she looks happier than she has since we got her, I've just peeped at her and she's sitting with Gatsby grooming his head for all she's worth! She has had a drink too (several).

Ps the vet said it was probably stress of moving or vhd/mixy jab reaction.

Last edited:
All I can offer is have you tried her with a bowl of water instead of a bottle? I'm looking after two baby rabbits ATM & they didn't drink for the first 24 hours as I didn't know they couldn't drink from a bottle. I put a bowl in & they're fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can offer is have you tried her with a bowl of water instead of a bottle? I'm looking after two baby rabbits ATM & they didn't drink for the first 24 hours as I didn't know they couldn't drink from a bottle. I put a bowl in & they're fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Can't offer any health advice, but my two couldn't drink from a bottle. I don't think the bottles give out enough water for them, and bowls are closer to their natural way of drinking in the wild

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Oh yes she's had a bowl since this morning when I realised she wasn't getting on with the bottle unless hand fed with it.

I've checked on her just now and they were both snuggled up together. On seeing me both hopped over to say hello (she's never done that yet, so lovely to see her do it now) and then they both leaped into the litter/hay tray and started chomping at hay. I checked Daisy's bum and there's no sign of sticky poo or mucus and no mucus in their house either - all looks sparkling clean. She then hopped over to her pellets, shoved Gatsby out of the way, had a few noisy chomps and a drink of water. So she's definitely eating and drinking! She then hopped around crumpling a paper bag for a couple of minutes before returning to her bedroom where she flattened her head on the floor in front of Gatsby, I presume looking to be groomed!

Sorry for the massive update, I'm just SO pleased to see her looking happier than she's looked since we've had her. I have some food the vet gave me to syringe feed in case she still wouldn't eat but I don't think I need to use it just now so will keep it for tomorrow in case I need it. I can't tell you how scared I was for her, I know we've only had her a few days but my DH actually said he couldn't stand to lose her,it's amazing how attached you become in such a short time. They are such a sweet pair and I am really trying to do the best for them. Thanks for the advice, I really hope it's not mucoid enteropathy, and *just* a blip.

Oh yes she's had a bowl since this morning when I realised she wasn't getting on with the bottle unless hand fed with it.

I've checked on her just now and they were both snuggled up together. On seeing me both hopped over to say hello (she's never done that yet, so lovely to see her do it now) and then they both leaped into the litter/hay tray and started chomping at hay. I checked Daisy's bum and there's no sign of sticky poo or mucus and no mucus in their house either - all looks sparkling clean. She then hopped over to her pellets, shoved Gatsby out of the way, had a few chomps and a drink of water. So she's definitely eating and drinking! She then hopped around crumpling a paper bag for a couple of minutes before returning to her bedroom where she flattened her head on the floor in front of Gatsby, I presume looking to be groomed!

Sorry for the massive update, I'm just SO pleased to see her looking happier than she's looked since we've had her. I have some food the vet gave me to syringe feed in case she still wouldn't eat but I don't think I need to use it just now so will keep it for tomorrow in case I need it. I can't tell you how scared I was for her, I know we've only had her a few days but my DH actually said he couldn't stand to lose her,it's amazing how attached you become in such a short time. They are such a sweet pair and I am really trying to do the best for them. Thanks for the advice, I really hope it's not mucoid enteropathy, and *just* a blip.

Glad she's doing better. Not sure how plausible this is, but could she have been dehydrated, and when you gave her water, she gulped so much that it just essentially went straight through her? I say dehydration, because if she wasn't getting on with the bottle, she probably wasn't drinking, now she is drinking, she seems to have perked up?

I'm certainly no expert, and have no experience with ill buns at all.

Glad she's doing better. Not sure how plausible this is, but could she have been dehydrated, and when you gave her water, she gulped so much that it just essentially went straight through her? I say dehydration, because if she wasn't getting on with the bottle, she probably wasn't drinking, now she is drinking, she seems to have perked up?

I'm certainly no expert, and have no experience with ill buns at all.

thank you :) that's what I thought tbh, a bit like when humans are constipated, if you drink a load of water, at some point it'll all explode out in a mucusy mess I thought maybe it might have overstimulated her gut, causing the explosion. I'm no rabbit expert but certainly it works like that in humans!

She certainly didn't seem as thirsty just now as she did this morning.

thank you :) that's what I thought tbh, a bit like when humans are constipated, if you drink a load of water, at some point it'll all explode out in a mucusy mess I thought maybe it might have overstimulated her gut, causing the explosion. I'm no rabbit expert but certainly it works like that in humans!

She certainly didn't seem as thirsty just now as she did this morning.

Still keep.an eye on her, but it makes sense to me.

None of my rabbits drink much at all to be honest, but they get liquid from their forage/veggies as well. I'd say you can rest easy now that she has a bowl so.you know she won't struggle to drink, but keep an eye on her poop as well just to be sure she is ok now :)

Glad to hear she's feeling much better now (and so are you :D)

I always provide a water bowl, even if bunnies are used to using a bottle, as sometimes the bottles get jammed or leak ..

I'm very surprised that the vet didn't admit her. Baby rabbits, in particular, are very vulnerable, and I assume your vet has a good knowledge of rabbits. I hope she continues to improve.

It was the ooh vet as it was Sunday afternoon at 530pm. I'd never been to this vet before, the vets in our area have a scheme where they take turns in on-call and our usual vet wasn't on call yesterday afternoon.

Anyway, we have been playing with her since 6am, she seems far better than she was, no evidence of sticky poo or mucus, the poos in the bottom of the house look normal to me and she is much brighter. She has eaten again this morning, both hay and pellets and had a drink. She hopped out of hand house by herself to say hello, and sat on a railway sleeper having the occasional gnaw. She's a different rabbit compared to what she's been like. Obviously we will keep a close eye on her, but she definitely looks better and is improved from yesterday.

Yes, using OOH vets does make things difficult. I'm fortunate in that my rabbit vet covers his own OOH, and I wish my cat vet did.

I'm pleased you've seen such an improvement.

update on Daisy

She's eating and drinking and pooing and looks well enough, but……. she is SUCH a quiet little thing. She has only been out of the rabbit house twice today, although there's been a couple of times that she's nudged my hand to stroke her head. I've been sitting beside them all day just letting them (her really) acclimatise. Gatsby is mad, a proper outgoing loving bunny, he's licking my face every time he can get near, which is lovely and bouncing and playing like a mad thing. Actually Daisy gave me a lick earlier but hasn't been near me since!

I am presuming she is just adjusting to the change of house and the two trips to the vet? She's flopping out so isn't hunched in pain and I really don't feel that she IS in pain or is unwell. Earlier this afternoon they were both absolutely comatose flopped out with fluffy tummies on show and heads flat on the floor.

I'm just surprised that she is so quiet - she came out of the house, hopped around for 5 minutes then settled down in a plant pot just sitting quietly. She went back in the house, had a drink, settled down and sat quietly. She moved position to wash, settled down and sat quietly. Gatsby sat on her head, she hopped away, and yes - settled down and sat quietly. She just seems to be sitting doing nothing (unless she's eating/drinking) and any slight movement makes her need a sit (or a flop) down.

Sorry for all of the questions.

She's eating and drinking and pooing and looks well enough, but……. she is SUCH a quiet little thing. She has only been out of the rabbit house twice today, although there's been a couple of times that she's nudged my hand to stroke her head. I've been sitting beside them all day just letting them (her really) acclimatise. Gatsby is mad, a proper outgoing loving bunny, he's licking my face every time he can get near, which is lovely and bouncing and playing like a mad thing. Actually Daisy gave me a lick earlier but hasn't been near me since!

I am presuming she is just adjusting to the change of house and the two trips to the vet? She's flopping out so isn't hunched in pain and I really don't feel that she IS in pain or is unwell. Earlier this afternoon they were both absolutely comatose flopped out with fluffy tummies on show and heads flat on the floor.

I'm just surprised that she is so quiet - she came out of the house, hopped around for 5 minutes then settled down in a plant pot just sitting quietly. She went back in the house, had a drink, settled down and sat quietly. She moved position to wash, settled down and sat quietly. Gatsby sat on her head, she hopped away, and yes - settled down and sat quietly. She just seems to be sitting doing nothing (unless she's eating/drinking) and any slight movement makes her need a sit (or a flop) down.

Sorry for all of the questions.

To be honest that does not sound to be 'normal' behaviour. Personally I would have another chat with the Vet.

A couple of questions- Is she a Giant Breed ? Do you notice a sort of 'farm yard' type smell around her environment and/or from her herself ?

I would really urge you to contact the rwaf to get the name of an exotics vet in your area to get a second opinion, it doesn't sound normal to me and baby bunnies are so vulnerable

To be honest that does not sound to be 'normal' behaviour. Personally I would have another chat with the Vet.

A couple of questions- Is she a Giant Breed ? Do you notice a sort of 'farm yard' type smell around her environment and/or from her herself ?
She's a French Lop. She doesn't smell at all, in fact she smells lovely (they both do) like hay and flowers! I've had a good sniff to see if they were whiffy.

She has nodded hello this morning and had something to eat, she licked my daughter to say hello. I'm not sure she's all that keen on me tbh, she seems to interact much more with the other 4 people in the house than me :( how much memory do they have? Could sh possibly be remembering that it was me who has been the one to "manhandle" her at the vet etc? I'm the one who's done anything "firm" with her (and by firm I mean vet type stuff, holding her while she's had her jabs/fur clipped from the mucus etc)

I will call our vet today, he's rabbit savvy.

She's a French Lop. She doesn't smell at all, in fact she smells lovely (they both do) like hay and flowers! I've had a good sniff to see if they were whiffy.

She has nodded hello this morning and had something to eat, she licked my daughter to say hello. I'm not sure she's all that keen on me tbh, she seems to interact much more with the other 4 people in the house than me :( how much memory do they have? Could sh possibly be remembering that it was me who has been the one to "manhandle" her at the vet etc? I'm the one who's done anything "firm" with her (and by firm I mean vet type stuff, holding her while she's had her jabs/fur clipped from the mucus etc)

I will call our vet today, he's rabbit savvy.

my more nervous rabbit runs and hides whenever she sees my OH, he only really appears when i need help herding her into the carrier for the vet so i think they can make connections in that way! but don't worry i'm sure over time as you do all the nice things with her too she'll come around :) it's just a bit scary for her right now

Back