• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and weed killer... when is it safe???

moi

Mama Doe
I dont let my buns at the bottom of the garden as i put weed killer down a couple of months ago. When would it be safe for them to venture down that end or is a no go for good x

Last edited:
wher have you used it on a lawn area? if so then i'd say at least 6months, and when you mow the lawn if that's the area, then bin what you've collected rather then leaving to lie on the lawn

wher have you used it on a lawn area? if so then i'd say at least 6months, and when you mow the lawn if that's the area, then bin what you've collected rather then leaving to lie on the lawn

Its not on a lawn, just an area that soooo overgrown with weeds x

There might be a manufacturers contact on the packet you could try.

There are a lot of factors - for example if the area is sheltered and doesn't get rained on it will hang around longer. It also depends on the chemical, I've a feeling some are rendered inert quite quickly once they get wet.

That's true Tamsin but the problem is the chemical is incorporated into the plant rather than just sitting on it, that's how they "kill the roots" etc. I wouldn't trust them eating anything that was treated for that reason. It isn't contact that's the issue it's ingestion.

Sorry, I presumed the weed killed had done it's work and the area had been cleared of weeds now, yes, you'd definitely want to get rid of any plants that you'd coated with it.

Sorry, I presumed the weed killed had done it's work and the area had been cleared of weeds now, yes, you'd definitely want to get rid of any plants that you'd coated with it.

The weed killer definitely didn't do its job :)

I recommend Roundup. You can get it in a big pumpy thing - worth it if you have a large area.

May give it ago, the weeds are taking up a 3rd of my garden, and I dont have the time (or patience) to dig or pull them up x

May give it ago, the weeds are taking up a 3rd of my garden, and I dont have the time (or patience) to dig or pull them up x

It isn't the cheapest, but very effective. Don't use if rain expected otherwise it all gets washed away. You can buy it concentrated, so you have to dilute or, as I said, in a pumpy thing already diluted.

Back