• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris rest painful in sun?

Fennic

Warren Scout
Hi there, we've got a rabbit with an iris rest in one eye, her eyesight is fine and her other pupil contracts fine but Queenie (the rabbit in question) is an indoor rabbit who's trained to come into the garden on call for grazing/excersize etc but she will only stay outside for a minute or less even if shielded by shade from the sun, do you think the lack of contraction on the other pupil could be causing her pain when outside?

In case someones wanting to ask, yes it's been seen by a vet and everything is working internally in the eyes otherwise.

I hope thats just her reasoning, I do feel bad calling her out there if it could be potentially hurting her.

It's tricky to say, like Jane says it could easily just be outside is a bit daunting to a bunnies used to indoors and she prefers it inside.

You could try it at night and see if that makes a difference - just be careful you can spot her in the dark and there are no predators about.

Thanks for the idea Tamsin, I tested it just now after reading. Unfortunately same result with spot light on for safety reasons. Shes a black dutch so shes only semi visible in the dark, I wouldn't be comfortable without the spot light on for that reason amongst predators etc.

I have one bun that doesnt like bright lights - she came from one of those shops where they keep them under bright light in glass tanks -

I think it has affected her eyes.

Back