• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch Buying Advice

beki

Mama Doe
Im going to be in pretty desperate need of a new hutch now as the bottom floor of mine isn't looking too great at the moment, i could replace the floor but really i need something a bit bigger.

I've just noticed welfare hutches aren't taking any new orders :( although i cant realistically get a new hutch until i have had a bit of levelling done on my patio, i need to chase my mums friend who is going to do that to see when he is free. My hutch floor is sagging, so im hoping a few bricks under the bottom level for now will keep it in place for the time being.

I was wondering if anyone had bought any hutches from these people on ebay and whether they could recommend -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111332453...49&var=410317703547&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111312572...49&var=410304655353&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350758325427?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Unfortunately I can't have a playhouse, well I could but I would not be able to fit an attached run on it also as limited patio space, i have a narrow garden, also bunnies can't free range without supervision as we have a lot of cats locally (though i am sure none of them would even attempt to attack ruby, she charges at my cats!).

any advice would be appreciated. I really like the look of welfare hutches, I wonder if in a month they will be taking orders again. I also like hutchman hutches but can't get one to me in Nottingham :(

have you called and spoken to the welfare hutch company to see when they will be taking orders again? they could be ready in time for when you have the levelling etc done :wave:

i dont have any personal experience of the hutches you posted, but i have seen the third link recommended a lot on here

I'm just about to place an order from ukrabbithutches.co.uk for a bespoke rabbit run. They do hutches too so worth a try. Also there's Moore space for pets on Facebook. He also does hutches and custom made items, some of the stuff he's done looks fab. He seems good at making the most of the space people have available so he might be able to design you something to fit on your patio and give your buns lots of room :) good luck x

Last edited:
Just a thought on your space - if it's very narrow and the patio is in front of your house. You could go for an aviary filling the whole gap. So in effect you'd walk out of the back door into the aviary and the house would form one wall. That way you don't have a run to walk around and could just have a hutch or shelter for them inside the aviary.

Tamsin unfortunately straight outside my back door is a 1m gap then a wall with steps in it. I have a tiered garden which is causing half the problems :( I have a nice space at the back which would be great for rabbits but it is 3 tiers up and I won't fancy going up there in the winter at night (I'm a right wimp and I'm not afraid to admit I'm scared of the dark!! ). I did have An idea once to do a small aviary on the patio but not sure its a possibility now.

I'm sure someone on the forum has a similar stepped garden - perhaps someone will know who.

It's hard without seeing a picture but one option would be to enclose the 1m gap with an aviary and then sit a hutch (or similar) on the higher section with a ramp down or use the steps (bunnies can manage either).

I'll have to post a picture of my garden :) it is quite a restrictive garden, I need a new house!

Out of those 3 I'd go for the skyes/happyhutch one. It looks much better quality than the other 2, and more well made.

Yes the last one is the best of the three. I have had one of the other two and they are very flimsy and will only last a year or two outside

If Sykes is the same as Happy Hutch I have a 6 ft one (which I'm selling if you anywhere near West Midlands!) and they're very decent hutches, sturdy and well made. The one I have was only used for a few months but it looks like it would last a good long time. I'd have no trouble recommending them.

Back