• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit poos are smaller

Nic.

Warren Scout
In the last month or so my rabbits' poos have gotten alot smaller. They're not tiny but there's definitely a big difference. I've been making a real effort to cut down on their pellets in this time so I presume this is what it is, is that bad? I'm worried they're not eating enough. They both have access to hay all day but don't tend to eat alot of it and mostly just hold out until I get home from work and give them their pellets. I've bought them about a million different kinds of hay in the past few weeks to try and encourage them to eat more :lol: They do nibble on it throughout the day but neither of them eat anywhere near their size in hay. Just wanted to check that they're not being underfed? They haven't lost any weight recently and I had their teeth checked at our last appointment and they're both fine so there's not any reason they're fussy hay eaters. I think they just like their pellets too much!

Have you been cutting down their pellet ration slowly in that time? If you try to do it too quickly it can be counterproductive. Do they like forage, you could try mixing forage in with the hay, and also mixing the pellets into the hay too. You could try mixing a little grated carrot into their hay, or readigrass, anything to encourage them to eat it.

Have you been cutting down their pellet ration slowly in that time? If you try to do it too quickly it can be counterproductive. Do they like forage, you could try mixing forage in with the hay, and also mixing the pellets into the hay too. You could try mixing a little grated carrot into their hay, or readigrass, anything to encourage them to eat it.

I did cut down slowly but maybe I cut down a little too much. They get a handful of pellets in the morning and a handful at night between the both of them. I haven't measured it out in an egg cup but I was going for that kind of amount, it fills the bottom of the bowl. I have been mixing herbs into the hay, they're very good at just picking out the herbs though haha, The grated carrot sounds like a good idea though, it would be hard for them to get that out, might order some readigrass too and if they like that I can mix that in there. Thanks :)

handfuls vary quite a lot so it could actually be that you're feeding too many pellets and they're filling up and refusing their hay? i would try measuring it every day and giving them an eggcupful. my two are very fussy and only get half an eggcup between then per day or they dont eat enough hay, i started them off with readigrass and slowly mixed ings hay in and tricked them :lol: what hays have you tried? have you tried scattering the pellets amongst the hay to encourage eating? also spritzing hay with diluted apple juice works really well

handfuls vary quite a lot so it could actually be that you're feeding too many pellets and they're filling up and refusing their hay? i would try measuring it every day and giving them an eggcupful. my two are very fussy and only get half an eggcup between then per day or they dont eat enough hay, i started them off with readigrass and slowly mixed ings hay in and tricked them :lol: what hays have you tried? have you tried scattering the pellets amongst the hay to encourage eating? also spritzing hay with diluted apple juice works really well

I've tried meadow, timothy and ings hay and various brands of those types. I've got some more coming too :lol: Okay, I will start by measuring the pellets to make sure they're definitely getting the right amount and I'll try mixing them in with their hay tonight. I definitely think they'd go for the apple juice on the hay though so will try that as a last resort! Thanks for all the ideas!

Back