• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help rabbit not eating

pippa

Young Bun
Hiya
I was wondering if any had any advice my rabbit has stopped eating drinking I have take her to the vets she has been treated for ear mites!
The vet has given me some recovery and some pro biotic to syringe feed her but it's really difficult to get her to take it! I have tried every food possible but she doesn't want to know! He told me to bring her back at ten tomorrow morning if she still isn't eating he checked teeth temp etc all seems fine I don't know what to do any advice please I'm so upset! :-( xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Has she had pain relief ? If her ears are inflamed they will be painful and a Rabbit in pain wont eat

Is she pooing ?

They didn't give her any pain relief!
I saw a couple of tiny really black poos this morning, she out in the garden now just cleaning her out so I can pop her back in and see if she is pooing! Everything I put in front of water food she pushes away :-( X

Hiya
I was wondering if any had any advice my rabbit has stopped eating drinking I have take her to the vets she has been treated for ear mites!
The vet has given me some recovery and some pro biotic to syringe feed her but it's really difficult to get her to take it! I have tried every food possible but she doesn't want to know! He told me to bring her back at ten tomorrow morning if she still isn't eating he checked teeth temp etc all seems fine I don't know what to do any advice please I'm so upset! :-( xx

As Jack's Jane said, a rabbit in pain won't eat - she needs pain relief if she hasn't had any. Metacam is the most popular one, best to check your invoice or ring your vet to see if she's had any if you're unsure. I would definitely get her some asap - today, definitely. If she doesn't eat she could go downhill very quickly so this is essential. The vet should be able to just prescribe it for you to pick up at reception if you saw them today - you shouldn't need another appointment.

Has the vet checked to see that she doesn't have a blockage? If so, syringe feeding is fine. If she has a blockage, syringe feeding could be fatal.

With the recovery food and probiotic, along with meds, you'll have to syringe it her by force usually. When she's feeling a bit better she might take it a bit easier. The best way to syringe is put her on a counter or table, and possible put her in a 'bunny burrito' (google will explain if you haven't done it before). It's best if someone can hold her. Then pop the syringe in just behind her front teeth and syringe it in slowly to avoid her breathing it in.

The consistency of recovery food sometimes makes it very difficult to syringe. I'd recommend mixing it with some ella's kitchen baby food (carrot is a good choice) to make it an easier consistency, and/or you can also cut the end off a 1ml syringe to make the hole bigger and it easier to syringe. The recovery food plus baby food is pretty tasty so you might find she prefers it.

They didn't give her any pain relief!
I saw a couple of tiny really black poos this morning, she out in the garden now just cleaning her out so I can pop her back in and see if she is pooing! Everything I put in front of water food she pushes away :-( X

If she has tiny poos she's suffering from stasis, probably brought on by the pain of the ear mites. She definitely needs pain relief and syringe feeding or she could go downhill very quickly and die before your appointment tomorrow morning. Stasis is very scary and can be fatal in much less than 12 hours. Sorry, hope it doesn't come across that I'm having ago since I've posted twice but we cross posted so I wanted to reply to your latest one. Get on the phone to the vets asap for pain relief - even if they're shut there will be an out of hours service and they may be able to give pain relief without an extra consultation.

Thanks for such quick response just got back from vets! Says no blockages! Gave pain relief! Nurse managed to give her some syringed food! So they gave me some oxbow critical care so fingers crossed! X

Did they give a gut stimulant? Is your vets rabbit savvy.

Fingers crossed she gets eating and is pain free.

Hiya yes! I managed to syringe feed her yesterday! Went out at 1.30 am to check her! She finally ate some herbs! And this morning she is eating a bit of hay no pellets as yet but least she's eating something, :) still have no idea why she just stopped eating though X

Maybe she was in discomfort and it has eased now.. i hope she continues too eat and poo.. all good signs for bunny owners!!

All the best
Fee xx

Thank you! I have been soo worried! Will continue to keep a eye on here intake just wanna make sure she is eating enough xx

Just wanna say thank you to for the quick replies, on this I've been checking her all day she's been eating hay bits of grated carrot and tiny bits of herbs, thanks again all xx

Just wanna say thank you to for the quick replies, on this I've been checking her all day she's been eating hay bits of grated carrot and tiny bits of herbs, thanks again all xx

Fantastic news! I'm so glad she's feeling better :love:

Me too its been a really worrying weekend, no suntan for me hehe, ;-) X

Back