• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent help needed! Suffocating rabbit

My bunny was outside on a leash. he was on a cat harness, similar to this one : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41onxJf8s7L._SY300_.jpg well after a nice run outside, i let him back in the house. I went to take his harness off, but he wouldn't let me so I just left it on. My mom tried to get it off, and she unclipped the strap around his stomach. That was good, we were making progress. He was hiding under a bed, and she was trying to get the one around his neck undone, but he kept running around like crazy. We just tried again, and the strap around his next was now around his next AND behind his front leg. It was VERY tight, because his neck is very small compared to being strapped around the back of his leg as well. We got him locked up in his cage so we could take it off without him running around. It was too tight for us to do so. His eyes were bloodshot. The third eyelids were peeking out of both eyes. He was freaking out (he was scared) We cut it off with scissors. His eyes immediately went back to normal, and hes laying down. I don't know if i should take further steps or if he's ok and was just scared. He's still breathing pretty heavy, but we only got it off about 10 minutes ago. Thanks in advance.

P.s. no more harnesses for him anymore!

I would contact your vet and take him in to be checked over urgently in case there is any damage :cry:

ITs the weekend so the vet wont be open until monday :c he's acting normal. His breathing has calmed down, ive felt around him and nothing feels diffferent, but yeah if i notice any signs ill definitely try to get him in

i don't think so ): i'm out of town tomorrow and theyre closed sundays. hes acting normal and hopping around so i dont know. I waas touching his neck and he didn't show signs of pain so i think he's fine. we have to take him in to get him neutered within the next few weeks, do you think it could wait until then? and are the third eyelids supposed to be redish/brown. cause if so nevermind the bloodshot eyes. I'm pretty sure they are im just paranoid

he just ate a treat, and he's now humping me so he's being himself for sure!!! just checked a different local vet and theyre open tomorrow. ill have my mom give them a call and see what the reccomend!

I can only advise to contact your vet or a different one for out of hours cover. If there is damage then waiting a few weeks would be completely unacceptable :cry: As for the colour of the third eyelid, to be honest I've not seen my rabbits third eyelid so I cannot tell you that. If your rabbit has bloodshot eyes then that is not normal.

Ring the vets number, they should have a recorded message telling you what to do if they are closed. I hope your bunny will be ok, but he may stillgo into shock which would need IMMEDIATE veterinary attention. And please don't even think about using a harness/leash again, this is exactly the reason why it's not suitable for rabbits x

Ring the vets number, they should have a recorded message telling you what to do if they are closed. I hope your bunny will be ok, but he may stillgo into shock which would need IMMEDIATE veterinary attention. And please don't even think about using a harness/leash again, this is exactly the reason why it's not suitable for rabbits x

This. Please get him to a vet asap!

I can't tell on my phone but you sound like you are from the U.S. if so I am not sure how vets there operate out of hours and weekends.

Its encouraging that he is eating and running around

And I am very glad you won't be putting bunny in a harness again. This is the exact reason why bunny harnesses shouldn't exsit! :(

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

If you are in the UK, your vet will have some sort of service at the weekend. All vets provide either weekend care themselves or will direct you to an out-of-hours vet, there should be a message on their answer machine giving instructions. If you are struggling to find one that is open, go to a Companion Care vet inside Pets at Home stores, they are guaranteed to be open on a Saturday, but I'm not sure of the opening times so it is best to go in the morning.

Please get your rabbit to a vet. If he has damaged his throat or airways, he needs urgent attention. He also must not be neutered until this has been ruled out, as to put him under anesthetic would be very risky if he still had damage.

Third eyelids are not meant to be brown, they should be pink.

I hope you can get your rabbit to vet today to assess the damage. Good luck and I hope he calms down soon.

I'm pleased that all is well.
I think what has happened to you and your rabbit demonstrates just how dangerous harnesses and leads are - glad you said you are not going to use them again.

Back