• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paralysed rescue rabbit - advice desperately needed please

tigerlilyb84

Young Bun
Hi all I desperately need some advice. I was at the 'rescue' that I sometimes volunteer at this afternoon and I'm extremely concerned about one of their rabbits. They've had one of their females for a year. She came in with hind leg mobility issues due to being housed in a hamster cage since a baby. She's always been able to scramble around but with barely any extension of her hind legs. I've not been there for a month but I got there today to find her unable to use her hind legs at all. she's for absolutely no muscle in her right leg and her other is very weak. She can only drag herself on her front paws and her skin looks raw on the right leg. I noticed her fur was caked in poo and wee all over her bum and hind legs. Iold the owners daughter who blatantly lied, telling me she'd been bathed earlier that day. She then bathed tHe buns legs under a cold water tap?! Apparently she's been like that since last weekend and she's been to the vet and received working treatment and baytril. The owner of the rescue thinks she's done everything she can for this rabbit but I think she's been severely neglected. She's going back to the vet on Sunday and it sounds like she'll be pts. Am I completely overreacting or do I have cause for concern? If I'm not overreacting what should I do??

it could be several issues - EC is one, continued lack of space another - or any degenerative problem.

Can you PM Hugos There and see if they can offer any help.

the poor rabbit needs a good rabbit vet and lots f tls asap.

Fly strike is a huge problem right now with the big flies coming out in this heat.

TBH I would try and get her out if you can immediately and then sort a rescue for her.

We had a fly strike case today - bun with health issues - I checked him every few hours through the day - had him indoors in a cool room with all doors and windows shut and thought I had checked for all flies . . .

by 5pm he had fly strike.

I offered to help and even adopt her there and then but they declined. I said I could take her to the vet for them and care for her at mine but no :-( short of stealinghee from them I don't know what else I can do. I cleaned out her hutch which was also filthy so at least she's got clean bedding tonight. I'm 99% sure she'll be pts on Sunday and feel so helpless :-(

I offered to help and even adopt her there and then but they declined. I said I could take her to the vet for them and care for her at mine but no :-( short of stealinghee from them I don't know what else I can do. I cleaned out her hutch which was also filthy so at least she's got clean bedding tonight. I'm 99% sure she'll be pts on Sunday and feel so helpless :-(

parsnipbun has offered fantastic advice. If this bunny can't be rescued, then I hate to say this but perhaps being pts would be kindness. At least she would be out of her misery and not risk the chance of dying by flystrike.:evil: It grieves to say such a thing, but at least she wouldn't suffer anymore. I do hope thought that something can be done to help this poor little darling.

Best of luck.....and well done for caring so much. xxx

parsnipbun has offered fantastic advice. If this bunny can't be rescued, then I hate to say this but perhaps being pts would be kindness. At least she would be out of her misery and not risk the chance of dying by flystrike.:evil: It grieves to say such a thing, but at least she wouldn't suffer anymore. I do hope thought that something can be done to help this poor little darling.

Best of luck.....and well done for caring so much. xxx

I agree with this. Also, if the conditions at the 'Rescue' are that dire then I would report them to the RSPCA.

The only other thing I can think of is, if you know the vet they go to, try and intervene from there. Unless of course the vets are not rabbity - in which case they will not be much help i suspect.

report the rescue to the RSPCA, and make it clear again to the rescue (and to the RSPCA) that you have tried to adopt the rabbit and are still prepared to do so.

The only other thing I can think of is, if you know the vet they go to, try and intervene from there. Unless of course the vets are not rabbity - in which case they will not be much help i suspect.

report the rescue to the RSPCA, and make it clear again to the rescue (and to the RSPCA) that you have tried to adopt the rabbit and are still prepared to do so.

A Vet will be bound by Client Confidentiality.

A Vet will be bound by Client Confidentiality.

They will; but what I was thinking was that if the OP states to the vet that they are wanting to take on the rabbit - then if the client asks for it to be pts and the vet feels it is inappropriate the vets can offer to take it from the owner - knowing that there is someone who will then take it on.

Its a long shot but vets do occasionally refuse a request to pts and take on the rabbit to pass it on to a rescue.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I text another volunteer yesterday and was told the poor girl was pts on Friday night. Little dubious about this as I left site at 6:30 and it looked like the owner was leaving then too. Gut feeling is she passed away but as some of you said at least she's not suffering now. The whole thing has been very distressing for me and not sure if I can go back to volunteer there now :-(

Thanks for your replies everyone. I text another volunteer yesterday and was told the poor girl was pts on Friday night. Little dubious about this as I left site at 6:30 and it looked like the owner was leaving then too. Gut feeling is she passed away but as some of you said at least she's not suffering now. The whole thing has been very distressing for me and not sure if I can go back to volunteer there now :-(

RIP little Bunny :cry:

If the situation at this 'Rescue' is not good then a report to the RSPCA is an option. Whilst there are many wonderful Rescues, run to very high standards, there are some which, frankly, are no more than a situation of gathering animals from supposedly 'bad' situations and keep them in conditions that are in reality just as bad. if not worse.

The word 'Rescue' does not always guarantee a place of safety, sadly :cry: There are a few very dubious 'Rescues' who let the other ones down and they let the animals they take in down too.

They will; but what I was thinking was that if the OP states to the vet that they are wanting to take on the rabbit - then if the client asks for it to be pts and the vet feels it is inappropriate the vets can offer to take it from the owner - knowing that there is someone who will then take it on.

Its a long shot but vets do occasionally refuse a request to pts and take on the rabbit to pass it on to a rescue.

Yes, I have known this to happen more than once.
If the little bun has indeed gone, then R.I.P. little one :love:

Oh no, if this is true then binky free little one, no more pain & suffering now you are at peace xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back