PDA

View Full Version : Ralph's lost weight :( scared its a repeat of Walter

runhardlivelong
16-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Ralph is my second rescue bunny, my first Walter had stasis when I first got him, lost loads of weight, had a trichobezoar which was operated on, was fine for a bit, got poorly again, had another op, then had seizures and died in my arms.

I thought Ralph was looking a bit skinny, so I weighed him and in two months he had gone down from 1.9kg to 1.4kg. Its the same as Walter to me, eating well, happy, bouncy.

That said Walter had poor poos for a while, and Ralph has just had a few days of poor poos but they seem to be normalising now.

I'm going to observe this week but we are heading to a likely vets trip. I'm so sad, I really try and take care of my bunnies, they eat fab quality hay, minimal pellets, fresh herbs. :-( The other bunny Lola, is unchanged. So its not me.

Any advice appreciated!

Jack's-Jane
16-05-2014, 05:48 PM
I would try to get him seen by a Vet tomorrow as the sooner any problems are identified and treated the better the prognosis. It may be that he has some dental problems brewing.

runhardlivelong
19-05-2014, 10:19 AM
I would try to get him seen by a Vet tomorrow as the sooner any problems are identified and treated the better the prognosis. It may be that he has some dental problems brewing.

Thanks Jacks-Jane, I took him to the vets asap on Saturday morning.

She had a good look at him and thinks it may be his teeth, she said there was an abrasion on his tongue. His tummy felt soft (which it didn't in Walter).

He is having a dental and bloods taken on Thursday! All fingers crossed it works

Jack's-Jane
19-05-2014, 11:44 AM
I hope that his Dental will sort out his problems. Did the Vet prescribe any pain relief for his sore mouth ?

runhardlivelong
19-05-2014, 12:10 PM
I hope that his Dental will sort out his problems. Did the Vet prescribe any pain relief for his sore mouth ?

Yes I have some metacam :) He LOVES it!

runhardlivelong
23-05-2014, 09:00 PM

I lost Ralph under the anaesthetic, she thinks he may have had a liver problem causing him to not metabolise it. But thats all based on hypothesis than fact.