• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit hoarder? O_O

PrincessPomPom

Warren Scout
I know there's probably absolutely nothing I can do about it but I needed to get it out. I just met one of my new neighbors and the best way I can describe her is a rabbit hoarder I don't think she's quite there yet but close :shock: I was in the garden with my son when a ball flies over and from over the fence I can hear two boys yelling at each other "no no you go get it!" so I took it upon myself to take the ball back over myself. The lady opened the door and was grateful to me bringing the ball back over as the boys were now beating each other up over the ball and this way they'd go play ball and leave her alone :lol: she invited me and as we were walking to her kitchen I saw 5 indoor cages I peered in and they all had bunnies in!! I said ooh you keep bunnies, told her about Strawberry so on so, she pointed to one and said there's 3 week old babies in that from when she'd had an "accident" as she didn't know male bunnies were still fertile for a little while and ended up with a litter from putting a male and female together. I was thinking all the indoor cages were far too small especially with the ginormous bunnies in, I was about to say something about maybe changing that but she took me to the back garden where she had a shed set up with a trio of frenchies and 12 yes 12 of those tiny barely 4 ft hutches stacked up in the corner with 2 rabbits each in :shock: she said she had a big love for rabbits and that whenever she goes to pets at home or sees an ad online she more or less always comes back with a rabbit she said they "call" to her she just has to bring them home. We started talking about proper set ups and she knows all about it, saying to me she knows the hutches are far too small but she doesn't have room for anything else without rabbits taking over the garden because "it's still a garden after all" The rabbits are all well cared for other than the small space, they're not on wood shavings, they're all spayed and neutered and paired up except for ones indoors. She "tries" to let the ones out to run around the garden. She's clearly on her way to hoarding and because they're well cared for the RSPCA won't do ****** all, she'd even said she's had people report her and they come over and are happy with her set ups :roll: I understand when people have a love for a certain animal but surely there's a limit!!

Oh dear. It sounds like an addiction. She cant stop collecting them. How very sad. Poor things all shut up in tiny cages ... At least she neuters but even so ...

That's so sad. it's a shame that she isn't willing to sort out their space requirements as it sounds like they're well taken care of otherwise :( I wonder if she''ll ever see sense?

I just don't understand why she has so many buns like I understand a love for an animal but you don't have a ton of them surely if you love an animal you have less of them to make them the best life you can. They're all pretty big buns too so she has a giant bunny love and only the ones in the shed have decent accommodation

Was she offended or did she seem to understand what you were saying? If the latter, there could be hope...

Maybe try to offer some practical suggestions? It might even be worth suggesting she join the forum so she might see the error of her ways?

Maybe she could try group bonding so more could stay together in larger setups? This is what its like in the wild and in some rescue places. Practically that could be hard to achieve but she doesn't sound like she is completely adverse to suggestions for help??

She needs to know that what she is doing is cruel even if she has good intentions.

What a tricky position you are in!

She didn't seem offended but the reason she has the set ups she does because she doesn't want set up all over te garden, she has a children, massive trampoline, she also has dogs the reason she doesn't have bigger set ups is because she wants the space for other things then I think why get so many rabbits!

Back