• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training help!

dasiychain

Young Bun
Hi, I need a bit of advice, my neutered rabbit (biscuit) a year old has recently peed outside his litter box. He's an indoor bunny and has no cage so has full range of the house and garden (he goes through the catflap). He is also bonded with a spayed female rabbit aswell of 6 months. However the other day my partner caught him peeing on my blanket in the living room. Photo below of him looking comfy before the incident) He was asleep and I think In a deep sleep and then he got up and peed next to where he was sleeping and then went back to sleep. We thought it was a one off. but Last night I fell asleep on the floor watching telly and got woken up by the female (Lucy) jumping on me - which is very rare. I then woke up to him doing it and as I closed my eyes I heard him go, It was very loud on my rug!! I managed to tap him bum in which he stopped and ran off and then jump on me again? We initially thought it was Lucy as we havnt had her long and she's very nervous of us and I came downstairs to a pee stain on my white cushion a few months ago so assumed it was her?

We have recently fostered a rabbit on behalf of a charity. 2 yr old neutered lionhead, who is adorable and biscuit does run over to see the fostered bunny but only to smell him and then chin every object he can find lol but doesn't attacked him unlike Lucy.

Does anyone know why he seems to be weeing occasionally not in his litter tray???

qa8amu6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would hazard a guess that it's due to the foster-bun you're looking after. He can smell and see an unfamiliar bunny and so he's marking his territory and making sure the newcomer knows what belongs to him! He also has scent glands under his chin which is why he's 'chinning' everything as well. He's essentially marking the whole room as his!

The only way you're going to stop it is to remove the foster-bun completely from the same area so that he can't see or smell it. Thoroughly neutralise all the areas where he's pee'd and you don't want him to have pee'd, leaving his litter tray smelling of him. Hopefully that should stop the pattern of him scent marking his area.

I would hazard a guess that it's due to the foster-bun you're looking after. He can smell and see an unfamiliar bunny and so he's marking his territory and making sure the newcomer knows what belongs to him! He also has scent glands under his chin which is why he's 'chinning' everything as well. He's essentially marking the whole room as his!

The only way you're going to stop it is to remove the foster-bun completely from the same area so that he can't see or smell it. Thoroughly neutralise all the areas where he's pee'd and you don't want him to have pee'd, leaving his litter tray smelling of him. Hopefully that should stop the pattern of him scent marking his area.

:thumb:

The foster bun is outside and is fenced but he doesn't really go near him only to sniff and that's it. I did think it was cos he's marking his territory but i wanted to check Really. We've got used to him chining everything as he does it if we go near another bunny he even used chin out feet and legs and he even does long bits of grass lol we don't know how long we're looking after this other rabbit for but im hoping biscuit doesn't get to naughty lol

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back