• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about my rabbit?

Hello, I have a male Dutch rabbit who's about 1 year old (give or take a few months - he's a rescue) and we've had him a year. However, we noticed today that he's being a bit quiet, refusing food when we offer it to him (we are unsure if he's been eating when we're not around), and he's just been lying in the corner of the hutch. Do you think there might be a problem? He has moved up to the other levels, and back down again, but he's still going into the corners. It's quite a warm day out and he has began moulting, is it possible he's behaving this way because he's too warm, or do you think he might be ill?

Is he pushing his stomach to the ground at all? Or getting in a position where his hind legs are elevated higher than his front legs? Can you feel his stomach ? Is it rock hard or very sloshy liquidy when you feel it?
What diet is he on?
Or is he lying on his side and spread out? Is the hutch indoors or ourdoors? Is it hot where he is? Is there decent wind ventilation and shade?

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is he pooing? I'm afraid that when a rabbit is neither pooing or eating it is an emergency situation, so you'd need to get to the vet as soon as possible for pain relief and gastric motility medication.

Rabbit's are good at hiding illness so sometimes the only thing you notice is they are behaving out of character. Not eating is quite serious, even more so if not pooping too. I'd tend to go for a vet appointment asap on the ground that if you leave it until after 6 to see how he is and he gets worse, you're into out of hours appointment charges and that gets expensive!

definitely pop him to the vet, a rabbit can only go 8 hours without eating before it becomes an emergency so best to get it checked asap! good luck, let us know how you get on :)

I would check if he is pooping and eating, if not get him to the vets asap. When rabbits moult sometimes their digestion slows down a bit. The earlier a problem is caught the better and less pain for your little fluffy.

Take him to the vet as soon as possible. It sounds like he may be suffering from gut stasis which is a painful and often fatal condition. He will need fluid therapy and a gut stimulant if that is the case. Rabbits also become very stressed and anxious in addition to being ill which can make their symptoms worse so keep calm and place him gently in a carrier and cover it with a blanket so that he can't see out, this will minimize any external stress factors like noises or strange people/animals.

If there are not many or no fresh poos from today that would also support a gut issues. As he has been moulting, it could be that he has ingested too much hair during grooming and this may result in a furball like blockage in his intestine. Rabbits cannot gag or vomit, so there is only one direction any blockage can go in and veterinary intervention is the best way removed a blockage.

Good luck at the vet and please let us know how you get on, sending loads of vibes for your lovely bunny xx

I think I will pop him to the vet like to say, just to check and be sure. Since I posted he has since has some food, but haven't noticed if he's pooped (he is in a hutch with my other rabbit so it can be hard to tell). I have noticed him all grooming and having a wash, but I still would like to check he's okay at the vets :). He's not lying down any differently to how he normally lies - just sort of on his side.

Last edited:
I thought he may have GI stasis too, but since I posted he's had some food, and seems to be behaving normally - he's had a bit of a groom and a wash too. I think I'll pop him to the vet just to be sure, but I think it might just be the heat. :)

It could be mild heatstroke and he may be a little dehydrated in which case visiting the vet is a good idea :thumb: I hope all goes well. Make sure he has plenty of shade and something cool to like on like a concrete slab or ceramic tile and if the air is humid and warm then a fan can also be a good idea.

If you feel there is something wrong I always think you're right. You know your rabbit and if there is nothing wrong, no harm done.

Back