• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dangermouse is poorly :(

TD86

Alpha Buck
She was due to be put under GA for a dental today after she had difficulty eating solid food as although the vet couldn't see any problems with her teeth, he wanted to get a better look. I opened the hutch to put her into her carrier and she had a fit, just turning at speed for around 20 seconds and squealing, I have honestly never seen anything so worrying in my life and had no idea what to do so had to shut the door in case she fell out of the hutch :cry:

Put her in her carrier and rushed her to the vet who now thinks it Cuniculi and gave her a couple of jabs. I've been sent home with her with Lapizole, Emeprid and Baytril to give her.

When I put her back in the hutch, she fell over briefly and I thought she was going to do it again but she got back up :cry:I'm so worried she's going to hurt herself and just don't know what to do :cry:

Can you bring her into the house and make a pen for her with litter tray etc so she cannot move around too much but has all necessary in the pen?? I did this with my housbun when he was ill and found him to be perfectly housetrained using only his litter tray which is how he became a housebun!

It must have been so scary and awful for you to witness the fit but hopefully with the vet treatment she will impove.

I can't really bring her inside as I wouldn't have anything to make a pen with and my house is cable central. She lives outside with her sister and I wouldn't want to stress her more by moving her to a new environment. I've been sitting out there all morning with her and am petrified every time she moves in case she has another one :(

I can't really bring her inside as I wouldn't have anything to make a pen with and my house is cable central. She lives outside with her sister and I wouldn't want to stress her more by moving her to a new environment. I've been sitting out there all morning with her and am petrified every time she moves in case she has another one :(

Its not really practibale for you to sit out with her all the time. Can you make her area as safe as possible so remove any items that could hurt her if she fell on them like toys with sharp edges etc. If she has a double decker hutch can you block off the ramp so she cannot fall down it even if it means they have less room for a short time. I assume they have a large run as well as a hutch or free range outside?? Again make as safe as possible then you know you have done the best you can without spending 24/7 watching her.

Its good that she hasn't had any more and hopefully won't have any.

Back