• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tree twigs that are bunny friendly?

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
My buns love munching on Apple and Willow sticks/branches but I was wondering what else I could offer them in terms of trees :wave:

I think mackers meant just watch out for the thorns. It's easy to pick at this time of year as there are loads of young thorn free shoots on the ends of the branches. As far as I know they can eat it all the time.

Mine have really enjoyed birch, they strip the bark from it! Also mountain ash, willow, apple and hawthorn as all others have mentioned :lol:

I think mackers meant just watch out for the thorns. It's easy to pick at this time of year as there are loads of young thorn free shoots on the ends of the branches. As far as I know they can eat it all the time.

I did - thank you. The thorns are really spiteful :censored:. Hawthorn leaves and branches/bark can be eaten all year, but I wouldn't feed any that had berries on it in the Autumn. They're easily picked off though.

Can I ask if mint twigs are safe? I have a bushy but woody mint plant growing in a tub and it's a mass of twigs. The buns seem to like a nibble but I've been keeping them off it as I wasn't sure if mint twigs would be ok?

I did - thank you. The thorns are really spiteful :censored:. Hawthorn leaves and branches/bark can be eaten all year, but I wouldn't feed any that had berries on it in the Autumn. They're easily picked off though.

Ah, thanks! Will pick off the berries when the time comes then.

Can I ask if mint twigs are safe? I have a bushy but woody mint plant growing in a tub and it's a mass of twigs. The buns seem to like a nibble but I've been keeping them off it as I wasn't sure if mint twigs would be ok?

Mint is safe for bunnies. Mine love it. :love:

That would depend on the species of mint. Your normal cooking mint herb is safe, as is apple mint. But pennyroyal mint and perrill mint are toxic.

That would depend on the species of mint. Your normal cooking mint herb is safe, as is apple mint. But pennyroyal mint and perrill mint are toxic.

Oh it's just cooking mint, I've been using this particular plant for years in our own cooking but it's a bit woody and not producing many leaves now so I've planted another one for our own use. I'll stick this one in the bunnies enclosure thank you :)

I have an apple tree in my garden, but they're not interested in it AT ALL. However I have another tree, and I'm ashamed I don't know what it is. It has dark red leaves and very pale pink blossom before the leaves come out. They both go mad for it. When I first saw them eating the leaves off the lawn last year I panicked, but they eat the twigs too, the more dried up the better. If we pick them a fresh one they often don't touch it for ages.

However I have another tree, and I'm ashamed I don't know what it is. It has dark red leaves and very pale pink blossom before the leaves come out.

Did it produce any fruits at all last year? It sounds like it could be something like a plum/damson type of fruit trees. Ones where the fruit has a stone are no-go for bunnies though, I'm afraid...even if they do like them!!

Did it produce any fruits at all last year? It sounds like it could be something like a plum/damson type of fruit trees. Ones where the fruit has a stone are no-go for bunnies though, I'm afraid...even if they do like them!!

It hasn't grown fruit in the 15 I years I have lived here. Thank you for the advice, I will see if I can locate it on Google images.

May I just ask how is it likely to affect them? -Thank you.

Julie loves peach twigs and so do the wildies.

I thought the general rule was that 'stoned' fruit tree are NOT safe for bunnies as they contain cyanide in the bark, twigs and leaves.
Although doing a quick google implied they could potentially be feed if provided cured/dried, not too sure perhaps someone could confirm this?

Back