• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sheds and flies!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
My Dad is currently building the rabbits a big new shed, but whilst it's all being done they've had to go back into their hutches (boo :() so that they're safely out of the way of all the construction work, which is also involving cutting down a few trees so we can permanently attach a run or two.

My Mum said that she didn't want a shed from the beginning as it'd be full of flies, but I thought it would be fine. I've just gone out to check on the bunnies this morning, and the shed had about 6 flies buzzing around in it :( The buns were cleaned out thoroughly yesterday so it's not like they're dirty... what can I do?

Citronella is great for repelling flies. I made some pouches for Pledge a Pound before, they have dried rice, some stuffing and some citronella. I was meaning to make some more as I have the stuff available.

Citronella is great for repelling flies. I made some pouches for Pledge a Pound before, they have dried rice, some stuffing and some citronella. I was meaning to make some more as I have the stuff available.

Oh thankyou, I'll have to buy some if you make any more!

I will try to remember to look out my stuff. I think I should have enough left over to send you a few, the rubbish thing is postage now....I'll need to try to make them flat so they fit as a large letter!

If you are not fussy with colour I could maybe make you a couple this week?

I will try to remember to look out my stuff. I think I should have enough left over to send you a few, the rubbish thing is postage now....I'll need to try to make them flat so they fit as a large letter!

If you are not fussy with colour I could maybe make you a couple this week?

That would be brilliant :D Yeah postage is a pain but it'll hopefully be worth it if it gets rid of the flies!

Those sticky fly paper things are really good too :thumb: also having a window open too as then it's not so warm and inviting and they can get out after getting in !

I made citronella bags a couple of years ago (which I've somehow lost) and I've been putting cintronella oil on the bunting in my shed this year to tide me over until I make some more bags. I hardly ever notice flies and when I do they're the small ones so I think it must be doing a good job.

Those sticky fly paper things are really good too :thumb: also having a window open too as then it's not so warm and inviting and they can get out after getting in !

agree. fly papers work very well. I use them in summer with rabbits and hens to keep numbers down.

I've let a few spiders take up permanent residence in my shed, any I find in the house get relocated there too they do a fab job of keeping my shed fly free, only downside is the cobwebs in the ceiling or getting a face full of web as you go in the door :shock:

I've let a few spiders take up permanent residence in my shed, any I find in the house get relocated there too they do a fab job of keeping my shed fly free, only downside is the cobwebs in the ceiling or getting a face full of web as you go in the door :shock:

I second the spiders. I used to hate spiders but seeing how good they are at keeping flies away from the rabbits I've learned to love them; and my bunnies live indoors!!

Fly net on all the windows. If you cut it and staple it nicely it doesn't look too out of place, but completely neutralises the risk. I put 2 layers on.

Fly net on all the windows. If you cut it and staple it nicely it doesn't look too out of place, but completely neutralises the risk. I put 2 layers on.

I'm just worried about it getting too hot in there, so I've been leaving the door open during the day. When the "proper" shed is finished it's going to have a stable door, so they'll still be able to get in even with fly nets on the windows :( Hopefully the citronella and spiders will keep them at bay :lol:

I use citronella oil and also spray (well away from buns)

Recently I've been dropping some citronella oil on the newspaper in the trays before the Megazorb and hay go in too

I've never seen a fly in the kennel *touchwood* :)

Back