• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY mishap...

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I am 'converting' a dog kennel into a bunny pad, so I asked my dad to make two platforms (basically shelves from the kennel lowered into a position for the rabbits). He came round tonight and did it while I was at work... but they are far, far too low. I am not sure what to do, I don't want to tell him because I appreciate that he did it and I don't want to sound completely ungrateful, because I am grateful that he gave up his evening to do it... but I had my reasons for wanting them where I did, and now they can't fulfill that purpose... I asked him to make them with enough space for the under the bed storage box to fit and for a rabbit to fit in it but the box *just* fits... so I really don't think he heard me right...

So, basically, I don't know what to do now. I wanted one to have a litter box (well, storage box lol) under it, and the other as a space for cardboard boxes to fit under for wee houses... now, the gap as it is, the rabbits should fit under okay... so I don't know whether to just leave them as they are and let the rabbits use them as a wee 'safe' place... or move them up. The only thing is, I don't know if I can do it myself because I don't have many tools to use... Ach, I just don't know... I might keep it like that temporarily. I plan to make another level going length ways in a few months (these two are at opposite ends and width ways) so I could do that and raise one of the shelves so they are all at three different levels...

Oh dear! Difficult to advise without being able to see it, but could you leave them as they are, put the litter tray on the top of the first one, and then you could always add a third at a later date. Mine love their shelves/levels :thumb:

Oh dear! Difficult to advise without being able to see it, but could you leave them as they are, put the litter tray on the top of the first one, and then you could always add a third at a later date. Mine love their shelves/levels :thumb:

Thanks lol. I am putting the vinyl down tomorrow so I will take photos to show just how low it is... I was really shocked when I saw it lol.

Thanks lol. I am putting the vinyl down tomorrow so I will take photos to show just how low it is... I was really shocked when I saw it lol.

He probably heard the bit about wanting to be able to put the storage box under, but didn't listen to the bit that the bunny needed to be able to fit in it :lol:

What about a grow bag tray as a litter tray?
They have lower sides than storage boxes but are still big
I've been using them with a corner litter tray in one corner and bunnies seem happy

Bless him for trying :love:

I live with my OH (and previously flatmate) and if there's one thing I learnt when it came to building things for the bunnies which they were happy to do, I had to explain why I needed what I needed and then draw what I thought it would look like. You'd be amazed by the difference from what you imagine to what they imagine! I was constantly hearing the sound of 'ooooh, I see what you mean now'!

In the meantime, maybe put the litter tray elsewhere and then have a chat with your dad next time he comes round that it's a little too low for them?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

He probably heard the bit about wanting to be able to put the storage box under, but didn't listen to the bit that the bunny needed to be able to fit in it :lol:

Lol, I think that is probably what happened! Although, I did specifically say that I was rather it was too high than too low :roll: He clearly missed that bit! Bless him...

What about a grow bag tray as a litter tray?
They have lower sides than storage boxes but are still big
I've been using them with a corner litter tray in one corner and bunnies seem happy

I don't think anything will work in such a small space lol... the bunnies will fit, and that is about it... Not sure on the exact size of the rabbits yet though because I don't get them until the weekend. They are meant to be lionheads so I am not expecting them to be big but they are in rescue so there is no way of knowing if there is something else mixed in there that could make them bigger than a full lionhead lol.

Bless him for trying :love:

I live with my OH (and previously flatmate) and if there's one thing I learnt when it came to building things for the bunnies which they were happy to do, I had to explain why I needed what I needed and then draw what I thought it would look like. You'd be amazed by the difference from what you imagine to what they imagine! I was constantly hearing the sound of 'ooooh, I see what you mean now'!

In the meantime, maybe put the litter tray elsewhere and then have a chat with your dad next time he comes round that it's a little too low for them?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Lol, that sounds familar! My OH is terrible at DIY but he is getting out of any bunny renovations because he works away so is only home at the weekend, and this weekend we were so busy that we just didn't get a minute. My dad kind of loses that excuse though because I specifically said I would rather it was too high and I actually showed him with my hand where I wanted it... but then, that was last week so maybe I was expecting too much, thinking he would actually remember :lol: I swear, I am no good with measurements but I would reckon it is about 10 inches off the ground! Actually, I can measure the storage box and tell you exactly how high it is...

Whoops, turns out I was being optimistic.... The box is 7 inches high, so the platform must be about 8 inches off the ground... yes, it is seriously that low :lol:

Lol, that sounds familar! My OH is terrible at DIY but he is getting out of any bunny renovations because he works away so is only home at the weekend, and this weekend we were so busy that we just didn't get a minute. My dad kind of loses that excuse though because I specifically said I would rather it was too high and I actually showed him with my hand where I wanted it... but then, that was last week so maybe I was expecting too much, thinking he would actually remember :lol: I swear, I am no good with measurements but I would reckon it is about 10 inches off the ground! Actually, I can measure the storage box and tell you exactly how high it is...

Absolutely know what you mean :lol:. Get a tape measure and a pencil and measure up/mark where you want things to be. If your dad is anything like my OH, he is not visual in imagination so unless I give him specifics, it will never be right :lol:

Absolutely know what you mean :lol:. Get a tape measure and a pencil and measure up/mark where you want things to be. If your dad is anything like my OH, he is not visual in imagination so unless I give him specifics, it will never be right :lol:

I really wish I did that! And the annoying thing is, he was meant to do it this afternoon while I was in, in which case I could have shown him but he couldn't come until later when I was at work... so I called him on the way to work and told him where I wanted it and well... this happened! :lol:

We've been talking about the planning of a shed and whilst I was thinking of the style that Summer &sky has done, so that they had loads of space, he was thinking that we would build a hutch to be within the shed totally defeating the object :lol:

Oh no! That is a tricky one. Could you put something on the shelves that hang down to form a tent of sorts. They could be private sleeping/hiding areas or one for dining. It might not work at all though as I haven't seen it but is there room for a litter box somewhere else if you do this? Just brain storming.

I will just put the litter box on top of the shelf.

Although, I found out tonight that I won't be getting the rabbits this weekend :( one of them had a problem with her eye but was healing well, tonight though the vet realised that her eyelids are growing in the way :( so she needs a procedure, and possibly an operation which will be done at the same time as neutering. So it will be at least another week, but probably two until they are able to come home. Bit gutted but I just need to think of it as more time to get things sorted and possibly fix these ruddy shelves lol.

I was really shocked when I saw it lol.
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

?????

I got some photos of it today... the box underneath the platform is a 32lt under bed storage box!

Also, my dad blocked up the hole that was meant for a dog, and fit a tunnel in it... but there is a little gap at the side, do you think this is okay? The tunnel leads to an enclosed run, and I blocked up the hole mainly so there was less of a draft blowing in on windy days... so I think it should be okay, but you guys might have reasons I haven't thought of. If so, I can cover the wee gap.

Back