• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming question

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
I've just got a new rabbit to bond with Molly. I know that both rabbits should be wormed as soon as possible but lapizole is sold out everywhere (ordered some and won't get it till next week). Should I wait till next week when I'll hopefully receive it or do I get panacur instead to start straight away?

I've never wormed mine. as far as I know panacur is the same drug anyway :thumb:

I've never wormed mine. as far as I know panacur is the same drug anyway :thumb:

yes they are both fenbendazole :wave:

i have heard that people sometimes routinely worm for stressful situations (moving house, new companion etc) but i dont think any studies have proven that it is beneficial. if you want to do it as a precaution i would just go ahead with the panacur and do a 28 day course

I've had the same problem today! The vet was ordering it for me but got a call saying they couldn't get it so they've given me panacur instead. I questioned worming with the vet this morning as she asked of Dash has been routinely wormed and I said no I didn't think it was necessary for rabbits but she said it protects against the EC bug. Mine are all on a full course now because of Dash's issues.

I've had the same problem today! The vet was ordering it for me but got a call saying they couldn't get it so they've given me panacur instead. I questioned worming with the vet this morning as she asked of Dash has been routinely wormed and I said no I didn't think it was necessary for rabbits but she said it protects against the EC bug. Mine are all on a full course now because of Dash's issues.

I have a rabbit-savvy vet and he has never recommended routine worming.

I'm worming them for the EC parasite. I was able to get some lapizole today so started them both on it. It's such a high dosage but it looks like the consistency of milk.

I'm worming them for the EC parasite. I was able to get some lapizole today so started them both on it. It's such a high dosage but it looks like the consistency of milk.

I think the idea is that using it when rabbits have no symptoms could mean it is ineffective if they should actually need it in the future.

I wanted to know what the latest advice is on worming rabbits for prevention against the EC parasite. A while back, I thought it was advisable to worm new rabbits on arrival for the EC parasite, but it seems this is now not the case. Is there a reason for this?

The rabbits are not taking the lapizole too well so if they don't need it, then I'll stop it as it does stress them out.

I wanted to know what the latest advice is on worming rabbits for prevention against the EC parasite. A while back, I thought it was advisable to worm new rabbits on arrival for the EC parasite, but it seems this is now not the case. Is there a reason for this?

The rabbits are not taking the lapizole too well so if they don't need it, then I'll stop it as it does stress them out.

I asked the vet again today, as I saw a different vet who has a 'special interest' in rabbits and she said that all the top rabbit vets recommend regular worming to prevent the EC parasite. I'm confused too as I was under the impression it wasn't needed but especially after Dash's recent illness which is suspected to be caused by EC, I feel like I need to take the vets advice and continue worming them regularly.

I asked the vet again today, as I saw a different vet who has a 'special interest' in rabbits and she said that all the top rabbit vets recommend regular worming to prevent the EC parasite. I'm confused too as I was under the impression it wasn't needed but especially after Dash's recent illness which is suspected to be caused by EC, I feel like I need to take the vets advice and continue worming them regularly.

Is the long course of 28 days necessary or just 9 days? The panacur is only 9 days but lapizole is 28 days. I'm not sure why there is such a difference.

Is the long course of 28 days necessary or just 9 days? The panacur is only 9 days but lapizole is 28 days. I'm not sure why there is such a difference.

I thought it was a full 28 days but I went to a bunny talk at my vet the other day and she said it's just a few days before a stressful event to lower the EC count, so I think 9 days would be fine :thumb:

My vet (Companion Care, Brentford) advised me to work Sugar every three months with a 9 day course of Panacur.

Argh so much conflicting advice :? Dash is currently on Panacur as they couldn't get the other stuff, he's on a 28 day course as showing signs of EC but they only recommended a 9 day preventative course for the other 3. Am going to question on next visit as it's been suggested they should all have full 28 day course :? It's so hard cos u feel like u should trust the vet and take their advice but when u read about all these different vets and associations saying different things, who do u listen to?!

I've also been very confused about this! My vet recomends a course of Panacur, but admited that it has no lasting effects, so surely it's not worth doing is it? I wonder if vets are just covering themselves and recomending it. Richard Saunders obviously thinks it's not worth doing unless necessary.

Back