• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know what I am doing wrong - dandilions

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
A few weeks ago Ozzie stopped eating, I did the infacol/pain relief at home and it was a success.

Today Twinkle had stopped eating.

I tracked back through their diet etc, looked in my old diary (I never throw them away)

DANDILIONS!!!

They love them, twinkle is an old stiff girl but suddenly becomes a total hussy for dandilions.

They've been spoilt with them this week, yesterdays was a huge plant, leaves, flowers the works, they loved it!:roll: They've had a considerable amount everyday since Saturday. Looking back to last year when she did it, they had dandilions, then when Ozzie has done his last two bouts its been when Ive found the first dandilions of the year.

Poor twink has spent the last 2 hours in my lounge after being dosed up with infacol, having the indignity of having her tummy rubbed while I tried to work out what I might have done wrong.

At least you've worked it out! I only feed a very small amount of dandies as they make bunnies wee.

I found last year that calendula gave willow an awful gassy tummy :oops: you could hear his gut going from across the room :shock:

Glad you know what sparks it:wave:

I found last year that calendula gave willow an awful gassy tummy :oops: you could hear his gut going from across the room :shock:

Glad you know what sparks it:wave:

Yes ive been able to hear her tummy gurgling this morning. I am looking after my neighbours cat and they aren't gardeners so theres loads of big healthy hearty dandelion plants, so I thought I was being a good caring rabbit owner:roll: picking a plant twice a day!

Shes such an old girl I felt very cruel knowing what I had done to her. shes now playing with her boys on the patio.

Thank goodness for infacol. I do wonder if I had just left her if she would have improved and eaten of if the infacol is just magic

At least you've worked it out! I only feed a very small amount of dandies as they make bunnies wee.

Funny you should say that, although she wasn't eating she was drinking from the garden fountain then when she went back in the shed she drank from the bowl and then sat with her chin resting on the bowl, it was at that point I scooped her up and brought her inside to monitor. I wonder if she was dehydrated?

I'm taking mine to vet on fri as calciummy wee. Thought it was dandelions but they've eaten all those so are just on grass, hay, pellets and coriander
Not sure what vet will say but hoping it's not the grass as they're mini rexes so not being on grass will be less good for their paws :(

I'm taking mine to vet on fri as calciummy wee. Thought it was dandelions but they've eaten all those so are just on grass, hay, pellets and coriander
Not sure what vet will say but hoping it's not the grass as they're mini rexes so not being on grass will be less good for their paws :(

It's more likely to be the pellets, I'd have thought. What sort of quantity are you feeding and which ones?

It's more likely to be the pellets, I'd have thought. What sort of quantity are you feeding and which ones?

Do you think?
They're on science selective junior
We got a little cup thing from excel from rabbit awareness week with a 25g increments, so I fill it up I the 50g mark for them to share.
It basically fills their treat ball with one or two extras.
Will start cutting pellets down slowly and see what happens
Was going to change them to grown up pellets soon anyway (they're 9months)

Thanks

I don't *think* dandelions are generally associated with sediment in their urine. I'm not 100% about that, though. They ARE diuretics, though, so they possibly could cause problems with being dehydrated in theory.

My buns gets a small amount of dandelions every day, as well as lots of other forage. All rabbits are different when it comes to food. Xena often gets a tummy ache after eating lots of forage, it doesn't stop her eating, but she will skulk off and sit on her own for a 15 mins or so afterwards, her tummy gurgles very loudly, then she just suddenly gets up and starts munching hay. She is very prone to excess cecals and mucus in her poo, too. I found that the mucus was being caused by readigrass so have had to cut that out completely.

My other two could probably eat an infinite amount of grass, readigrass and forage and never get poorly. :roll:

I don't *think* dandelions are generally associated with sediment in their urine. I'm not 100% about that, though. They ARE diuretics, though, so they possibly could cause problems with being dehydrated in theory.

My buns gets a small amount of dandelions every day, as well as lots of other forage. All rabbits are different when it comes to food. Xena often gets a tummy ache after eating lots of forage, it doesn't stop her eating, but she will skulk off and sit on her own for a 15 mins or so afterwards, her tummy gurgles very loudly, then she just suddenly gets up and starts munching hay. She is very prone to excess cecals and mucus in her poo, too. I found that the mucus was being caused by readigrass so have had to cut that out completely.

My other two could probably eat an infinite amount of grass, readigrass and forage and never get poorly. :roll:

readigrass doesn't work for us either, Ive got half a bag in the cupboard if its any good to any one

Dandelions are high in calcium, that's true. But I think pellets are more likely to cause sludgey pee. It's like all things with bunnies - moderation.

Dandelions are high in calcium, that's true. But I think pellets are more likely to cause sludgey pee. It's like all things with bunnies - moderation.

I think you'd have to feed A LOT of dandelions every day for it to affect them, unless they were very sensitive, in which case the pellets would also be a problem for them. As I said, al buns are different, and some are more prone to these things, unfortunately. :(

Madcatwoman, I also have half a bag of readigrass that I can't use. It took me ages to figure out that it was this causing the issues. Even a tiny amount gives her a poorly tum. :(

Back