• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay day - Weds 14-May-14 - U/D: Call the fashion police! #42

erspearson

Warren Scout
It's Sugar's spay today. Any other buns going through the same today?

It's my first time - can I hold somebody's hand please :|

Last edited:
We know how you feel :) Keep yourself as busy as possible otherwise you'll be looking at clocks a lot and pacing from room to room. :D
Sending vibes for Sugar xx

I've never had a bunny spayed before, I've only had neutered boys, but I know I'd be ****ing myself too if I did have to send a girl for spaying. Good luck Sugar xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dropped her off at the vets. She didn't make a fuss. I decided to get her chipped too while she's under.

It's a beautiful spring day in West London. I'll kill some time with a walk along the river.

Hope Sugar comes through her op well. Keep her quiet when she gets back home and have a few of her favourite foods ready.

6pm. Sugar is home.
Vet said the op was straightforward.
She's very dopey at the moment as they didn't get round to her till 3pm.
Her legs aren't quite doing what she'd like them to so she's wobbled off and found a quiet, cool, dark spot under the sideboard and is dozing.

I have favourite foods and Metacam on hand.

She's not eaten anything here yet but the vet said she eat all the food I left with them after she first came round (parsley, coriander & broccoli).

Glad to hear Sugar is home and recovering, if she ate her picnic at the vets that's good :thumb:

Oh very good news for Demerara Sugar girl :D

It's really quite scary how attached we get to these lovely critters .. :love:

1am: She stirs, drinks water, nibbles a little parsley - all with her eyes closed. Essentially she looks like me the morning after a big night out. The face says, "never again".

5am: We have poo! Well formed poo. And a look that tells me that the camera-phone needs to remain off if I want to avoid legal action.

9am - A slow hop around the house, she's clearly very sore under there. The tour included a productive visit to her litter tray.

10am - Ate a handful of greens. Still won't touch her dried food which I was warned might happen. Given that she normally goes mad for pellets, that's a clear sign that she's not yet herself.
Looking much less groggy now than last night but still very subdued.

Last edited:
4pm - Been snoozing all day, but that's perfectly normal. Just ate some pellets from my hand (I think reaching into her normal bowl is uncomfortable).
Gave her 0.6ml of Metacam (0.9mg) - apparently it's very nommy indeed.
Inspected her wound, looks very clean, neat and tidy - bigger than I expected (don't know why - I've never seen one before). Only got slightly scratched.

Last edited:
Post-op day 2. Sugar definitely seems to have her mojo back today; she's much more lively, back into exploring and nosing around and able to jump up on things without discomfort.
Still a little off her food, she is eating but needs to be encouraged to do so rather than hassling me for it.

So, for her and I, the procedure has gone well. Huge thanks to RU members across the site for all the support and advice that meant that was able to get through this without feeling like I was on my own.

Next step is to let Sugar fully recover and then we can think about maybe seeing if she'd be interested in a husbun. I've already met a possible suitor...

It always astonishes my how quickly a bun seems to 'bounce' back from a spay - just shows how detirmined they are to get on with life. So pleased Sugar is recovery so well - it's a worrying time but will be so worth it when you watch her snuggle up to her husbun to be:thumb:

U/D - Bit of a set-back

Went to feed Sugar this morning and did my normal trick of getting her to beg so I could see her spay wound.
I wasn't pleased with what I saw, she'd clearly been nagging on it over night and had dug out some of the stitches and was bleeding a little.

So off to the vets we went where they cleaned her up, glued her back together and gave her an injection of antibiotics.

But how to stop it happening again?

Well you can imagine how well the solution is going down...

WP_20140522_008.jpg

"Do my ears look big in this?"

WP_20140522_012.jpg

"This comes off before bedtime right?"

Oh dear :?

Back