• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Non Stop Sneezing?

aldena2

New Kit
My rabbit is about 5 years old. He has had perfect health his entire life. A few months ago, he became extremely congested and his nose became clogged and he had runny eyes and started sneezing. A few weeks later, he stopped eating. We brought him to the vet and it turned out his molar was over grown and he had an infection which caused the runny eyes and sneezing. Long story short, they fixed the tooth and he has been fine and his sneezing and runny eyes stopped. However, about a week ago, he became VERY congested again. He will have completely random sneeze attacks where he will sneeze for 5 minutes straight (no exaggeration). He will also make a gagging/coughing sound periodically with it. There is almost no discharge other than clear, so I am not concerned that it is snuffles. His eyes are also slightly goopy in the corners but not too bad. We have recently switched from cat littler to pine pellets in his litter box, but the sneezing started before the swap. I also have a towel on his cage floor which I wash once a week. Could he be allergic to the detergent? His hay is not dusty and neither is his food, he is not really shedding either. Could he just have spring allergies? The sneezing occurs also when I take him out of the cage so I am lost. Any opinions? Like I said, he is completely healthy otherwise and he is eating normally. Thank you!

It is essential that you take him back to the Vet. He clearly has another upper respiratory tract infection ('Snuffles') which might be related to a Dental problem involving elongated tooth roots. Without prompt treatment your Rabbit could become extremely ill and there will come a point when it's too late for any treatment to help him. Please dont delay in getting him back to a Vet today

The cat litter (which should NOT be the clumping type, that is very dangerous to use for Rabbits) might be aggravating his URT but I doubt very much that it is a simple allergy you are dealing with

The longer you wait before consulting a Vet the more bleak your Rabbit's prognosis. Sorry to be blunt, but it really is important that you get him the Veterinary help he once again needs.

I'm afraid it sounds like he has snuffles - your vet may want to do a bacteria culture to confirm the bacteria causing this, pasturella is the most common.

I have one rabbit with chronic snuffles and one that gets occasional bouts of it, and both have very little discharge and it is usually clear. A combination of antibiotics and bisolvon usually helps their immune system get more in control again. Bisolvon helps to thin the mucus which helps it to drain and makes it easier for them to breathe, and antibiotics help to fight the infection.

One of my rabbits has permanent scarring in the airways that will always cause breathing issues and my vet believes it was because his snuffles was not treated before I got him, so it is important to get it seen to.

Good luck at the vets, I hope your bunny feels better soon.

The only thing is I am 14 and my mom just payed for all of his vet bills for his tooth (it costed about $400). I am very concerned because I want to get him to the vet so badly. My mom is paying for a wedding this weekend so she is literally broke and she is still paying off his vet bills from before. My vet does not do payment plans but they made a one time exception for her. I have no idea what to do because we literally have no way to pay for this but he needs to be seen.

The only thing is I am 14 and my mom just payed for all of his vet bills for his tooth (it costed about $400). I am very concerned because I want to get him to the vet so badly. My mom is paying for a wedding this weekend so she is literally broke and she is still paying off his vet bills from before. My vet does not do payment plans but they made a one time exception for her. I have no idea what to do because we literally have no way to pay for this but he needs to be seen.

Are there any Animal Welfare Charities in your area whom you could contact for help ?

This is a US based Forum and if you post on there they may be able to suggest an Organisation in your State that could be of assistance

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forum.php

Thank you for your help. I took him to the vet the other day and unfortunately they said he was very sick. They could not tell exactly what it was without doing tons of tests on him and stressing him out. The vet said it could be anywhere from pneumonia to cancer of his lungs. Yesterday he began breathing very heavily and today he passed away. My heart is breaking and I don't know what I am going to do without him. He gave me the best 6 years of my life and I'm so grateful I could be with him when he went. Before him, I didn't even think it was possible to love an animal as much as I do him. Hopefully the pain eases quickly because right now it's an indescribable emptiness. RIP Daisy, May 2008 ~ May 2014

Binky free little one. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back