• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your personal experiences?

Hi there!
I'm looking into get a holland lop, mini-lop, mini-Rex or polish rabbit and I was wondering what your experiences were with these types of rabbits. I'm looking for answers including how active they are, how big they get, how much space they need, how friendly they are, if they will be ok with snuggles and petting that goes on and on, how social with other rabbits they are, etc. Thanks for your help to me!

-RaH

I've had all those except the polish, although I've wondered if my nethies are crossed with polish.

Tbh they're all about the same. My hollands, mini lops and mini rex have all been very friendly and sweet. They all require the same amount of space, they all have about the same activity level.

No one breed is more social with other breeds. They're all the same species so things like that don't differ.

These things generally all depend on the individual rabbit, not by the breed.

Holland weight - 3 - 4 lbs
Mini Lop weight - 5.5 - 6.5 lbs
Mini Rex weight - 3.5 - 4.5 lbs
Polish weight - 2.5 - 3.5 lbs

Hi there!
I'm looking into get a holland lop, mini-lop, mini-Rex or polish rabbit and I was wondering what your experiences were with these types of rabbits. I'm looking for answers including how active they are, how big they get, how much space they need, how friendly they are, if they will be ok with snuggles and petting that goes on and on, how social with other rabbits they are, etc. Thanks for your help to me!

-RaH

Unfortunately I've only had experience with the mini loppy variety but my two are lovely, sociable and cuddly. One is definitely more cuddly than the other though. Milo has no problems being picked up and cuddled but Finn isn't a fan of it. They obviously all have different personalities, regardless of breed.

My two mini rexes are very social. Neither is snuggly but both will hop on and hop off me a lot
One hates being picked up but then does loads of happy teeth chattering once picked up, and licks noses
Other is very licky and affectionate and inquisitive but very scrabbly. We're working on that...

I've not had any of those breeds, but in my experience temperament seems to be down to the individual rabbit rather than down to breed/type. For example I've had quite area lionhead rabbits, all girls, and they are/were all very different personalities. Of my current bunnies, Apricot and Ginger are sisters and very different, Apricot is shy, Ginger very confident, Dandy and Beano are brothers, Beano is shy and very affectionate, Dandy is very confident, cheeky, but also affectionate

Hi there!

-RaH

i agree that personality is down to the individual rabbit, as well as to the breed. i think generally smaller rabbits are more active, but in terms of friendliness and cuddling that is very much an individual rabbit preference. if you will be adopting an adult rabbit the rescue/owner will be able to tell you how friendly they are but with a baby it's much more uncertain as they may be more tolerant when young and then become more independent as they mature. most rabbits will be naturally sociable with other rabbits if introduced correctly, although there are a few rare exceptions. again, whoever you are adopting from will know the history of the rabbit. space-wise, any breed would need the RWAF minimum of 6x2x2 with attached 8x4 run with the exception of any large breed which needs a lot more

I've only had mini lops from this, I have one mini lion lop & one mini lop ATM and my other beautiful mini lion lop sadly passed away two weeks ago. Of the rabbits I have had - Dutch, dwarf lop, lionhead & Netherlands dwarf x lionhead - they are the most affectionate buns I've had (apart from Dexter who was the most affectionate bunny in the world but was Netherlands dwarf x lionhead)

It does depend more on the rabbit's character & personality rather than breed though. My mini lop, Blackavar, is a complete snuggle bun, doesn't mind being picked up & loves cuddles & fuss. He'll happily sit there for hours on my knee being fussed :love: my two mini lion lops aren't/weren't so keen & more inquisitive & bouncy than snuggly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there!

-RaH

I think all rabbits are born different. The only way to find definitive answers to these questions is to go to a rescue and choose a young adult who displays all the qualities you would love in a rabbit :love:

Which Country are you from as I think there will be some confusion.

In the Uk a holland lop is a mini lop and a mini lop is a dwarf lop.

I have/had all the breeds you mention and to be honest temprament is very much down to the individual rabbit rather than its breeding.

Back