• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ears still haven't lopped?

Emily93

New Kit
I recently got a new mini lop doe I got her from a breeder who said she was 100% mini lop. I saw mum and Dad that were both mini lops and all the other kits that were in the hutch with her and her mum all had lopped ears and where slightly larger than her as I thought she was extremely small for 8 weeks her ears were sticking straight up and seemed to be tiny when I first picked her up the breeder said she was the smallest out of the litter and her ears will lop as she gets bigger... Well I've never seen this before all of my other rabbits have had 100% lopped ears when I've picked them up at 8 weeks.

I've now had her 6 weeks and her ears dropped to half way about 2 weeks of having her but there never lopped completely and they only ever look sort of lopped when shes relaxed but most of the time they stick straight up in the air ... Really starting to question if she is a mini lop or a cross

If she was much smaller than her siblings, her ears will take longer to lop. She still looks very small, so it may take her longer to develop. I take it you have had her checked by a vet to establish that her small size and lack of growth isn't caused by anything? I see she is with another bigger rabbit, is she getting enough pellets to help her grow?

If the breeder wasn't a breeder that was breeding to further the breed with BRC ringed rabbits, or for showing, it may well be that her rabbits weren't 100% pure mini-lop. Almost all 'backyard breeders' are actually breeding rabbits with no idea of their genetic background. A rabbit may appear to be a certain breed, but that is no guarantee of their heritage and genetic background, and most pet rabbits have a mix of breeds in there somewhere.

If she was much smaller than her siblings, her ears will take longer to lop. She still looks very small, so it may take her longer to develop. I take it you have had her checked by a vet to establish that her small size and lack of growth isn't caused by anything? I see she is with another bigger rabbit, is she getting enough pellets to help her grow?

If the breeder wasn't a breeder that was breeding to further the breed with BRC ringed rabbits, or for showing, it may well be that her rabbits weren't 100% pure mini-lop. Almost all 'backyard breeders' are actually breeding rabbits with no idea of their genetic background. A rabbit may appear to be a certain breed, but that is no guarantee of their heritage and genetic background, and most pet rabbits have a mix of breeds in there somewhere.

Thanks for your reply she is much bigger than this now she has grown a lot since she has been with me although I have seen no change in ear size ( I haven't got any recent pics ) I will take some more today. She isn't living with my male mini lop at the moment as I wanted to give her time to grow before I put them together properly they just go out in the garden together and I feed her on her own. The reason for her being so small when I first got her was due to her being pushed out when she was with her litter mates I found it hard to get her to eat at first as obviously she had never been allowed to eat on her own but now she loves her food and is getting bigger everyday. But yet I have seen no change in ears other than that she is happy and healthy and no matter what I love her to bits I'm just a little puzzled.

She is incredibly cute :love::love::love:

2 of my 7 lops still happily wave their ears around and they are over a year old now :D

She is incredibly cute :love::love::love:

2 of my 7 lops still happily wave their ears around and they are over a year old now :D

Thank you! Shes adorable isn't she... She had complete control over her ears which my other mini lop doesn't so maybe thats it... Heres some new photos of her looking bigger 😊

She looks as if she has some Lionhead in her and I don't think her ears will lop! She's a lovely colour though.

She is a fabulous colour :love::love::love:

She could have some mix in there.

This is my mini lop Thomas and his ears are positioned differently to your little buns. Mind you he has a roundy head and grey slippers as well :lol:

Last edited:
Her crown looks very tight so this will stop the ears from lopping properly. They may get better as she gets older. Even pure bred mini lops can have slight 'faults' with size, ears etc. It would depend what the genetic history is like for her parents.
She is gorgeous though. x

Thanks for everyone's replies she sure is beautiful and has a lovely personality!!:love:
I saw what the breeder said was mum and dad they both had perfectly lopped ears... The only other breed of rabbit she had was Netherland dwarfs which at first her ears did kind of resemble but I can't really be sure when I got my other mini lop he was around 11 weeks old he has perfectly lopped ears so big he looked as if he'd trip over them.

I have thought that she has a very small crown which means they might never lop completely even if she is full mini lop whatever breed she is I still love her so much :love:

Toffee with his massive ears the day I got him

I'm no expert at all but I must say that doesn't look like a minilop, but then again I could be wrong.

Back