• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training - week 4

mabels mum

Warren Scout
So we've had Arthur just over 3 weeks and he's made hardly any progress with his litter training. I don't know if he's just lazy or just a bit slow to get it. I'm mopping up wee with kitchen roll and adding it to the litter tray. I'm changing the tray every 3 days and putting some old litter back in there. He's got hay in there to munch and above in a rack. I removed the rugs from the pen so it's just lino which is helping with cleaning up his mistakes which I do with watered down white vinegar. He has whole dry nights and dry days so I think he's getting it and then it's back to square one, like tonight he's done a pool in the middle of the kitchen floor and another one on top of their wooden hidey house.

I'd love to have him in the lounge but can't risk him peeing on the rug. I think Mabel is missing her home comforts of cotton rugs and vet bed to lie on and romping about in the lounge on the sofa. Luckily she hasn't lost any of her good habits but he's not learning from her either.

Are my expectations too high? Do you think he just needs more time or do you think if he was going to get it by now then he would have? (He's neutered). Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to try that I haven't tried yet? I don't know what else to do. Thanks.

He's a rescue bun and was found as a stray but they think between a year and two years old. Something makes me think he was a house bun in the past as he's so at home with things like the hoover and kitchen smells. I suppose it could be still territorial marking as they've only been together 5 weeks and home for just over 3. She doesn't do it though and never has. She's a year old and I've had her from a baby.

Back