• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small poo's with pictures

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Just been out to check on the bunnies and to clean litter trays as was busy this morning studying

When I looked in binkys cage I saw these
a3y3uqu5.jpg

They're rather small and the picture doesn't do them justice, so ill compare them to one of bellas poops
any7amad.jpg

Cameras making them look bigger than they are but wide bellas are about 1.5cms and binkys are not even 0.5cm

This worried me and I said to my mum (its her rabbit, well a 'family rabbit' I do everything for)
And she said maybe she's having a bad poo day
And I explained about rabbiys digestive systems and she accused me of trying to think I know everything about rabbiys and that binkys fine! :censored:

What are your guys opinions on these poos? shes never had poos like this before! And I'd need to talk to my mum seeing as its their rabbit and whatever

If you need any more info just ask, thanks x

Ps. Sorry for the poop photos :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My Buns poops went like this when I had to go to hospital with one of the kids for 2 days and my eldest forgot to give them hay. Best keep an eye out as it can be the first sign of stasis x

They don't look worrying to me. Has bunny been eating more grass lately or less hay, or maybe something has stressed him out.

They don't look worrying to me. Has bunny been eating more grass lately or less hay, or maybe something has stressed him out.

My Buns poops went like this when I had to go to hospital with one of the kids for 2 days and my eldest forgot to give them hay. Best keep an eye out as it can be the first sign of stasis x

she has unlimited access to green hay and has been eating that, I just went out there and she was munching on hay

And they dont look worrying in the photo but they are TINY like smalled than the end of my pinky finger and they're SO compact, I tried to break one open and it was so hard to break I had to crush it

She hasn't had anything diffrent shes had her normal routine for ages, and shes eating her hay but not her pellets...shes only eaten afew pellets.

Probably worrying over nothing but theres not many of the poops in her cage either

In Ludo's case that can be the first sign of tummy trouble to come. It can also be that he's eaten apple tree bark a lot which also has that effect.

In his case I up the hay and give him a few less pellets, it usually does the trick.

In Ludo's case that can be the first sign of tummy trouble to come. It can also be that he's eaten apple tree bark a lot which also has that effect.

In his case I up the hay and give him a few less pellets, it usually does the trick.

She has unlimited hay anyway and shes eating that
Shes also eaten a treat but still not touched this morning pellets, shes eaten about five of them!

Ive cleaned her potty corner and put just newspaper in her living area so I can track how much shes pooping and sizes etc

She has unlimited hay anyway and shes eating that
Shes also eaten a treat but still not touched this morning pellets, shes eaten about five of them!

Ive cleaned her potty corner and put just newspaper in her living area so I can track how much shes pooping and sizes etc

Sounds good. I'd definitely not give any treats until you're 100% sure her tummy is ok. :thumb:

Sounds good. I'd definitely not give any treats until you're 100% sure her tummy is ok. :thumb:

Its only one of them small compressed hay treats but she wont eat it anyway, even though she always eats them!
Still munching on hay but still no more poops since I cleaned

How often should a rabbit poop? Anyone? How long till I should worry?

If it were me, I would be worrying because of the strange poos, no interest in pellets, and now the lack of poo. In fact I would be on the phone to my vet.

If it were me, I would be worrying because of the strange poos, no interest in pellets, and now the lack of poo. In fact I would be on the phone to my vet.

Shes eating normally now, shes eaten most of her pellets and demolished the hay and forage but still nothing
Am just going back to check on her as she was asleep last time, but shes happy in herself and normal but theres just that inch if worry

Just been out, still no poo's

What are my parents saying?
That I think I know everything about rabbits, that they should of never got rabbits and that binky is technically their rabbiy but I just do everything for her and they wont take her to the vets
In their words
"Im not taking a :censored: rabbit to the vets to say shes not pood in 3 hours and them to say its normal and hand over £45"

Feel like im being really over the top but im worried so

Isn't their anything ANYTHING I can do till morning till I can take her to the vets? Will she still be here?

Last edited:
Really sorry your buns not great :(
Mine was similar after getting stressed at the vets a few months ago, he wouldn't move poo or eat. I rang the emergency vets and they said give a couple of hours (wasn't very happy with them but I did!).
I tried giving ferg all his favourite veg, and ran it under the tap so it was wet to make sure he wasn't getting too dehydrated and gave him tummy massages.
Eventually he started doing tiny poos and he was ok within a few hours, so might be worth giving it a go. Definitely try ringing a vets and see if they can give you some free advice over the phone, really hope your bun gets better soon xx

Really sorry your buns not great :(
Mine was similar after getting stressed at the vets a few months ago, he wouldn't move poo or eat. I rang the emergency vets and they said give a couple of hours (wasn't very happy with them but I did!).
I tried giving ferg all his favourite veg, and ran it under the tap so it was wet to make sure he wasn't getting too dehydrated and gave him tummy massages.
Eventually he started doing tiny poos and he was ok within a few hours, so might be worth giving it a go. Definitely try ringing a vets and see if they can give you some free advice over the phone, really hope your bun gets better soon xx

My vets are rather greedy, phone up about my hamster before and they made me take her in, wouldn't give advise over the phone ! :mad:
Neither does the vets at the top of my road, but they don't have a rabbit savy vet anyway

She is drinking great, she hasn't wee'd either so I wonder if shes just trying to make me worry or if she has a poo and wee schedule but 3 hours does worry me

Must also add, she never used to poo in her run until I moved it closer to her cage then she'd poo but her poos never got that small then stopped

Definitely sounds like the early signs of tummy trouble to me. Some buns will overcome it by themselves if you catch it early but generally tummy troubles are very serious in a rabbit.

I'd get her to eat as much hay as possible. Put hay everywhere, sprinkle small amounts of veg in it, whatever you can.

Could you show this thread to your parents? Small, dark poos, decreased interest in pellets and lack of poos are all signs of Gastrointestinal Stasis which is a serious condition in rabbits and can cause death, often very quickly. If your parents absolutely won't let you call a vet tonight then, if his appetite and poos aren't back to normal he really must see a vet tomorrow.

I'm sorry your parents don't see the urgency of the situation.

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid as your rabbit definitely needs to see a vet tonight - rabbits go downhill so quickly. I don't know what else to say.

Definitely sounds like the early signs of tummy trouble to me. Some buns will overcome it by themselves if you catch it early but generally tummy troubles are very serious in a rabbit.

I'd get her to eat as much hay as possible. Put hay everywhere, sprinkle small amounts of veg in it, whatever you can.

Could you show this thread to your parents? Small, dark poos, decreased interest in pellets and lack of poos are all signs of Gastrointestinal Stasis which is a serious condition in rabbits and can cause death, often very quickly. If your parents absolutely won't let you call a vet tonight then, if his appetite and poos aren't back to normal he really must see a vet tomorrow.

I'm sorry your parents don't see the urgency of the situation.

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid as your rabbit definitely needs to see a vet tonight - rabbits go downhill so quickly. I don't know what else to say.

Ive showed them this thread and a website on gi statis and she told me shes probably just 'constipated'

She is eating hay and has had afew pellets but she is eating hay and thats most important to me

Ive offered to pay for the ooh vet for them but they dont see the need, but in the morning she is 100% going if poos are still not there or are only tiny, she saw a website that said "if your rabbit hasn't poo'd in 12 to 24 hours then its an emergency and she said "but its only been three hours" well yes, I was trying to nip it in the bud as it would of been easier to deal with then but I guess the most important thing is binky is happy in herself and isnt showing discomfort and shes also eating hay and drinking, so just need to hope she carrys on doing that through the night!

Poor you that must be really stressful for you :(

For now, try not to stress too much as Binky will be able to pick up that you're worried. If she's eaten some hay and pellets this evening with any luck it might start to pass through. She definitely needs to see a vet tomorrow though, pain relief is very important when a bunny has tummy pain.

You could try giving her a tummy massage. Misfit loves tummy massages when she has stasis but I normally do it after she's had painkillers so if you do try it just watch closely and stop if she shows any signs of discomfort.

Back