• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slimming pellets?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Looking for some advice if that's ok :)

When I took on a third rabbit, Pepper, he was a bit tubby and came with a bag and a half of Burgess pellets for overweight rabbits.
My pair, Finx and Tango, are on Science Selective.

I've always thought cutting down on pellets would be better than feeding slimming ones, so before I bonded the trio I gradually changed Pepper onto a smaller portion of SS.

They've now been bonded for a couple of months and in that time Pepper has lost a bit of weight but is still overweight, Finx has stayed a good size and Tango has put on 0.3kg!

I think I got the measurements wrong and now I'm not sure whether to make use of the slimming pellets mixed with SS or just to give a smaller portion of SS... Bearing in mind their current portion is only 2 heaped egg cups between 3 of them each day.

Sorry for rambling; what do you think?

You wouldn't have thought that amount of pellets would make that much difference overall between the 2 types, I don't know though, as I've always fed the normal burgess excel so I don't know what the nutritional differences are between ss and diet burgess :oops: I wonder if Tango is eating the lions share of the pellets? Is Tango overweight or a normal weight? Maybe you could try scatter feeding if you don't already, or put the pellets into a treat ball to help make sure that they all manage to get some.

Because willow has bad feetsies he had to lose weight :oops:

He was on normal burgess excel but I changed him to obese rabbit ones :lol: made a huge difference....he's losing weight really well:thumb: I don't know is SS do a diet one do they?

Maybe I'll combine the 2 then... Hmm. Tango is definitely overweight, vet recommended reducing pellets but don't think she quite understood how tiny their portion is already!
I scatter the pellets but it is possible that Tango gets more.

Combining the slimming ones with SS won't be bad for Finx will it, who is a good size already? She'll just fill up on hay? Or should I sneak her some extra SS?

I'm also trying to increase their exercise but the boys are quite lazy :)

Back