• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Higher Protein for long-haired rabbits?

scatter

Alpha Buck
I just thought - should long-haired rabbits have a higher protein food for important health needs, or is it just for people that show rabbits, etc., purely for hair growth?:?

I personally think so. I feed all mine junior pellets (because of the higher protein) and give my lionheads more for that very reason.

The longer fur is a different kind of fur.

It would be a bit like comparing types of hair on people, rather than length.

I've ntoiced if I feed the same amount, then they get skinnier, which, I believe, is due to the effort that needs to go into the hair growth.

It's no different from them needing more food when they are moulting- which I also do.

I've ntoiced if I feed the same amount, then they get skinnier, which, I believe, is due to the effort that needs to go into the hair growth.

It's no different from them needing more food when they are moulting- which I also do.

thats really interesting, i'd never thought about it. is it possible that rex rabbits then need less protein? i feed so few pellets the difference would be negligible anyway but its interesting to think about!

thats really interesting, i'd never thought about it. is it possible that rex rabbits then need less protein? i feed so few pellets the difference would be negligible anyway but its interesting to think about!

I don't know. I know it's shorter because there are no guard hairs, but I don't know if it's a different type of hair.

On lionhead babies, the longer fur takes 4-6 days to start growing (so they start off with bald patches), after the normal fur. As far as I know, rex fur starts straight away, the same as normal fur. I wonder about Astrex fur though.

Last edited:

Oh - that's an interesting point too - I am thinking about moulting as my two (lionheads) are having a moult and my gassy bun, Poppy has just had a gassy episode! It's just got me thinking about the junior/dwarf foods?

I don't know. I know it's shorter because there are no guard hairs, but I don't know if it's a different type of hair.

On lionheads, the longer fur takes 4-6 days to start growing (so they start off with bald patches), after the normal fur. As far as I know, rex fur starts straight away, the same as normal fur. I wonder about Astrex fur though.

Wow - that's a really interesting point:thumb:

Oh - that's an interesting point too - I am thinking about moulting as my two (lionheads) are having a moult and my gassy bun, Poppy has just had a gassy episode! It's just got me thinking about the junior/dwarf foods?

What about them?

I prefer to feed them, they suit my buns much more. I do have a trio on the elderly food, but again, that's what suits them.

I started on the junior pellets because they were all dental, so it meant I could feed less pellets and they would eat more hay, so cutting own the need for dentals.

What about them?

I prefer to feed them, they suit my buns much more. I do have a trio on the elderly food, but again, that's what suits them.

I started on the junior pellets because they were all dental, so it meant I could feed less pellets and they would eat more hay, so cutting own the need for dentals.

I think - it was really just the moult that got me wondering whether they should be on a higher protein pellet. That's another good point about having to feed a bit less. Out of interest, do you feed them many pellets, or just a very small amount?

I think - it was really just the moult that got me wondering whether they should be on a higher protein pellet. That's another good point about having to feed a bit less. Out of interest, do you feed them many pellets, or just a very small amount?

For my average, middle aged rabbit I would feed one pellet in the morning and one in the evening. As we've headed towards them all being elderly and being a little more frail (and have dental abscesses), they get a small handful (between two) in the morning and the same in the evening. The longer furred bunnies get a bigger handful twice a day.

For my average, middle aged rabbit I would feed one pellet in the morning and one in the evening. As we've headed towards them all being elderly and being a little more frail (and have dental abscesses), they get a small handful (between two) in the morning and the same in the evening. The longer furred bunnies get a bigger handful twice a day.

Thanks:thumb: As you say, it's a matter of seeing what suits!

Absolutely. But mine are all great hay eaters, which makes it easier- a lesser hay eating bunny would need more pellets.

What about them?

Very interesting. Mottle is a dental rabbit. Hmmm.

Back