• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting Matilda and Grayson outside?

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Been thinking about it for awhile now, and now that my small business is starting to get going I need the space and their fur is interfering with the products, and Elsie is still not 100% with them, so they spend 10am-11pm in their dog crate! And it's not fair on them!

but I'm really not sure about it! they are 3 and 2, and have only ever lived indoors!

I know in the summer they would be okay but not sure about the winters!

I don't know how they would cope outside....or if they would like it! :/

Any advice would be fab!

Im sure they would like a run system to play in much better than being locked in a cage :( I think you should go for it, they will get fresh air and be able to play more. They will love it. I worried the same putting my 2 outside but the love it, they are so very happy.

I would never have my rabbit outside now, I love him being indoors.

Can't you lock the dog out of the room? are they in your bedroom? The rabbits were there before the dog so why should they have to be shut in their cage because of the dog!

I moved a couple of mine outside when they were 3, after being inside all their lives and they, all of them, started to have excess caecals or stasis episodes, and then needing dentals more.

It was nuts.

I just thought it was age.

But they moved back in last year, aged 6, and now we have no excess caecals, and only very occasional need for dentals. They have less space now (they have an NIC cage base that they get let out of to run around overnight, as opposed to an aviary), but they are generally happier.

So, I would say, the intentions may be right, but that doesn't mean they will actually be happier and thrive out there.

In terms of your business, is there anywhere else you can do it? could you set up a work shed or something outside? And yes, a puppy gate to keep Elsie out the room seems fairest.

I would never have my rabbit outside now, I love him being indoors.

Can't you lock the dog out of the room? are they in your bedroom? The rabbits were there before the dog so why should they have to be shut in their cage because of the dog!

Not really, as she is my dog and I live with my parents!, and I can't have her roaming the house, she would injure herself or eat something she shouldn't etc no one else would watch her etc and yh they are in my bedroom and no they can't go anywhere else in the house

I know they were there first, but circumstances change! And I'm trying to do what's best for them! as well as myself! I'm trying to find a solution that suits everyone!

I moved a couple of mine outside when they were 3, after being inside all their lives and they, all of them, started to have excess caecals or stasis episodes, and then needing dentals more.

It was nuts.

I just thought it was age.

But they moved back in last year, aged 6, and now we have no excess caecals, and only very occasional need for dentals. They have less space now (they have an NIC cage base that they get let out of to run around overnight, as opposed to an aviary), but they are generally happier.

So, I would say, the intentions may be right, but that doesn't mean they will actually be happier and thrive out there.

In terms of your business, is there anywhere else you can do it? could you set up a work shed or something outside? And yes, a puppy gate to keep Elsie out the room seems fairest.

I live with my parents, so it a no to a shed, or other work set up! :( Elsie can't be left in any other room of the house, as no one else will look after her etc!

I too live with my parents, so do understand how you have to communicate and compromise with them. How have discussions on options gone so far?

I might be wrong, but it sounds, to me, like you're almost 'relegating' them outside, but that may just be me.

It depends very much on the bunny. I had Snowdrop inside for 2 years, she had a tummy condition and was regularly poorly. When I moved her outside she did so much better. She never wanted human company and was very easily stressed so was best left in a large wendy house and run to do her own thing outside and enjoy just being a rabbit.

Strawberry also lived in for 2 years and then went out. He has never had any problems in either setting and is very happy outside. He loves free ranging on the garden, I don't need to worry about him eating things he shouldn't and he is absolutely fine in the winter.

Mr B has always been an indoor bunny and we would never put him out because his cashmere fur makes him more at risk of fly strike in the summer.

Not really, as she is my dog and I live with my parents!, and I can't have her roaming the house, she would injure herself or eat something she shouldn't etc no one else would watch her etc and yh they are in my bedroom and no they can't go anywhere else in the house

I know they were there first, but circumstances change! And I'm trying to do what's best for them! as well as myself! I'm trying to find a solution that suits everyone!

But surely you thought of your rabbits needs before getting a dog?? It really isn't fair to lock them away or put them outside just because you now have the dog.

Circumstances have only changed because YOU decided to change them. The rabbits had no choice in the matter :(

I too live with my parents, so do understand how you have to communicate and compromise with them. How have discussions on options gone so far?

I might be wrong, but it sounds, to me, like you're almost 'relegating' them outside, but that may just be me.

Couldn't agree more :(

Storm and Mallow are going to be 7 years old this month. During that time they started off as house bunnies for about 2 years, then moved outside for about 3 years and then moved back inside. They first had to move outside because I was going to put my home on the market the following Spring and didn't want the bunnies inside when people were viewing, unfortunately, that mean't they had to go out the previous Summer so they became used to the temperature. I gave them a nice set up and they seemed happy. They also got free range time in the garden. As I had to buy a hutch, run, tunnel and toys they stayed outside when I moved house. Then my Dad looked after them one year in February when I was on holiday. While I was away he worried a fox might get them so he brought them in at night into his unheated conservatory. Then we had loads of snow so when I got back I didn't want to put them straight outside again. So, they moved back into the house and haven't moved out again!

It will depend whether Matilda and Grayson are happy to be outside. If they have a nice set up with lots of things to interest them, they may like it. The main problem I had with Storm and Mallow is that I didn't get so many opportunities to interact with them outside and it gets very cold and wet in winter so going outside to feed them and empty the litter tray isn't much fun when you are used to being able to do that in comfort. The other issue to consider is the cost. I bought a hutch plus a separate run, then I needed a hutch cover, I got some tunnels for free. It may be worth adding up how much it will cost you.

That's just my experience based on living with Storm and Mallow - many others on the forum have much greater experience then me :)

I'm allowed another hutch if I decide to put them outside, but its a no to anything else, no room for another shed in the garden, and I already have the rabbit kennel!

I guess i'll just have to carry on as I have been doing...

If you're going to do it, you're going to need to be aware it may not work, and ensure that whatever they have otuside is better than what they have now. So, for bunnies their size, you are likely to be looking at double storey 7ft hutches, or maybe a 3 storey 6 foot hutch.

It could work. But it might not. So it's sensible to be prepared for all eventualities. But they will need to go outside around Juneish time to ensure they can get the winter coat they need, come August.

Storm and Mallow are going to be 7 years old this month. During that time they started off as house bunnies for about 2 years, then moved outside for about 3 years and then moved back inside. They first had to move outside because I was going to put my home on the market the following Spring and didn't want the bunnies inside when people were viewing, unfortunately, that mean't they had to go out the previous Summer so they became used to the temperature. I gave them a nice set up and they seemed happy. They also got free range time in the garden. As I had to buy a hutch, run, tunnel and toys they stayed outside when I moved house. Then my Dad looked after them one year in February when I was on holiday. While I was away he worried a fox might get them so he brought them in at night into his unheated conservatory. Then we had loads of snow so when I got back I didn't want to put them straight outside again. So, they moved back into the house and haven't moved out again!

It will depend whether Matilda and Grayson are happy to be outside. If they have a nice set up with lots of things to interest them, they may like it. The main problem I had with Storm and Mallow is that I didn't get so many opportunities to interact with them outside and it gets very cold and wet in winter so going outside to feed them and empty the litter tray isn't much fun when you are used to being able to do that in comfort. The other issue to consider is the cost. I bought a hutch plus a separate run, then I needed a hutch cover, I got some tunnels for free. It may be worth adding up how much it will cost you.

That's just my experience based on living with Storm and Mallow - many others on the forum have much greater experience then me :)

The interaction is another big 'keep them inside,pull' Grayson loves a cuddle, and being fused, Matilda couldn't careless! But then, he isn;t getting as much as he used to now anyway! Ahhhh i just don't know what to do!

I'm allowed another hutch if I decide to put them outside, but its a no to anything else, no room for another shed in the garden, and I already have the rabbit kennel!

I guess i'll just have to carry on as I have been doing...

I don't think carrying on as you are is an option: it is cruel to keep your rabbits caged from 10 am until 11 pm. I don't know how you and your family envisaged it working when you decided to get a dog? If you are going to put them outside, they will need a large hutch with attached run, following RWAF guidelines, with lots of bedding. I do feel rather sorry for them.

I don't think carrying on as you are is an option: it is cruel to keep your rabbits caged from 10 am until 11 pm. I don't know how you and your family envisaged it working when you decided to get a dog? If you are going to put them outside, they will need a large hutch with attached run, following RWAF guidelines, with lots of bedding. I do feel rather sorry for them.

Because eventually Elsie will be cal around them, atm shes a crazy puppy who jumps on everything! once she's calmed down then they can be around each other x

Me too :(

It would be bad enough moving them out into a shed which is more secure and can have bedroom boxes inside stuffed with hay for warmth, but to be put in a hutch is even worse :(

If you do move them out you are really going to have to make sure they have absolutely loads of warm bedding.

But surely you thought of your rabbits needs before getting a dog?? It really isn't fair to lock them away or put them outside just because you now have the dog.

Circumstances have only changed because YOU decided to change them. The rabbits had no choice in the matter :(

This. Why did you get a dog when you don't have space for the rabbits AND the dog? :? :(Sounds like it wasn't thought through at all. Would your parents allow you to get a large run attached to an outdoor hutch? Or just a hutch? If they don't get a run, I'm afraid it really isn't good enough for them :(

And suddenly I'm reminded why I don't post on here anymore...

I wasn't asking about housing!! I'm well aware of what size they would need,

Thanks to those who offered helpful advice, instead of the usual 'my way or no way' advice

I will find my on solution, and I most probably won't post about what/if anything I do! Because as always it will be wrong!

And as for getting a dog, it was recommended to improve my mental health, something she has done! my entire life has changed since owning a dog, something that I will never regret!

Last edited:
And suddenly I'm reminded why I don't post on here anymore...

I wasn't asking about housing!! I'm well aware of what size they would need,

Thanks to those who offered helpful advice, instead of the usual 'my way or no way' advice

I will find my on solution, and I most probably won't post about what/if anything I do! Because as always it will be wrong!

And as for getting a dog, it was recommended to improve my mental health, something she has done! my entire life has changed since owning a dog, something that I will never regret!

Don't you have another 2/3 dogs in your household anyway?

Am I missing something here? Why can't Elsie join them? :?

Back