• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits need ENRICHMENT!

elmoandfern

Mama Doe
Today's rabbit awareness week photo theme is enrichment :) how do you make your bunnies' lives more interesting?? I have to rush off to work but will post my photos when I'm home!

I'll start :D. Encouraging Flora and Parsnip to work a bit for their food by hanging it from the roof and putting pellets in a treat ball.

Ooo I like this one :wave: as you know I'm a MASSIVE believer toys and entertainment don't need to cost much :thumb:

Willows hanging herb garden

Sylvie in her cardboard box

Dried forage in a paper bag

Paper cups from pound shop stuffed with goodies and a baby rattle from pound shop :thumb:

Ok, so this was the christmas tree I made from apple branches and home made hanging things :lol: but can be used any time of year!

A simple tunnel covered with hay :thumb:

An old pot stuffed with hay provided willow with lots of fun!

And my old favourite (and bunnies too!) the digging box! :thumb: although I don't have any photos to provide :cry: the girls LOVE their digging box with soil in it goes EVERYWHERE !!:roll::lol:;)

I got a treat ball for Doughnut but she seemed to get frustrated with it and it seemed mean. She was rolling it and then going back on her tracks to see if anything had come out. Do you think some bunnies enjoy it and others find it irritating or am I getting it wrong? I'd like to enrich her life obviously.

I got a treat ball for Doughnut but she seemed to get frustrated with it and it seemed mean. She was rolling it and then going back on her tracks to see if anything had come out. Do you think some bunnies enjoy it and others find it irritating or am I getting it wrong? I'd like to enrich her life obviously.

Yeh willow hates his!:lol: he gets so cross with it, I still use it sometimes though but don't put all his daily allowance of pellets in....just come ;)

Cardboard castle :D
bampb-1_zpsf48695a6.jpg

And their favourite toys, willow balls!
11_zps2ee83240.jpg

i think it probably is a bit frustrating, but as long as they can work it out eventually that's not necessarily a bad thing! sorry to get sciency but studies show that challenges and moderate frustration are actually healthy for animals and improve their welfare - so long as they can overcome the challenge. have you started using it on the easiest 'setting', so with the hole completely open? if you gradually make it harder she should understand how to use it and make it a bit less stressful!

mine are old photos but here's last summer's grass bed

IMG_0397_zps223950b2.jpg

and my beautiful little mumu playing with his treat ball :(

IMG_3880_zps5e379461.jpg

and this is fern attacking her first fern-iversary treat box

IMG_2266_zps6f5448c2.jpg

mine are old photos but here's last summer's grass bed

IMG_0397_zps223950b2.jpg

and my beautiful little mumu playing with his treat ball :(

IMG_3880_zps5e379461.jpg

and this is fern attacking her first fern-iversary treat box

IMG_2266_zps6f5448c2.jpg

I love the grassy dog bed!! Did you use normal grass seeds? x

I just :love: the dog bed of grass! I am definitely going to try that.

Today I stuffed Molly's large willow ball with hay and a few pellets. Well she went nuts! I was putting the children to bed so I didn't take a photo straight away thinking I could take one afterwards but by the time I was finished so was she! There were bits of willow ball spread all over the room and one satisfied Molly sitting in the middle!:lol:

I just :love: the dog bed of grass! I am definitely going to try that.

Today I stuffed Molly's large willow ball with hay and a few pellets. Well she went nuts! I was putting the children to bed so I didn't take a photo straight away thinking I could take one afterwards but by the time I was finished so was she! There were bits of willow ball spread all over the room and one satisfied Molly sitting in the middle!:lol:

that's a sign of a well enjoyed treat!!

Waffles and DP are currently enjoying:

Football
BmJ5Ze_IYAApkju.jpg

Food puzzles
Bkc05ZBIEAAhlmj.jpg

And stacking cups
BjWxynIIAAALbvc.jpg

And foodballs
BkOjd1hIQAASGYs.jpg

And chewing things
BdiaMogIMAAagy6.jpg

And boxes
BdUw8SMIAAAhOxd.jpg

And castles (really just big boxes)
BbEePZFIgAAqz8_.jpg

And chewing feetsies
BbEeTz9IQAAQJF1.jpg

And tunnels and footballs
12407584405_977eae1438_c.jpg

Chewable toys, dig and graze boxes and tunnels. They love the big perspex tunnels oh and also toddler garden toys. Also places to hide especially during outdoor play. Things to jump on or hide under. But I also like to ensure they have enough room to do bunny 500's and binkies. Cardboard boxes are also great for chewing along with wooden chew toys and willow balls. Herb pots, dry leaves and bunny safe flowers and weeds scattered around or in hay provide good enrichment too. Its a great way to feed pellets and veg too. There are also some great toys like carrot patches and treat trays.

Chewable toys like baskets and willow products

Tunnels

Boxes to sit on or under

Children's toys

Rabbit specific toys

Back