• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why even the soppiest rabbits are not ideal pets for children

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
This was the result of the innocuous act of giving Helena and Buckley their breakfast. Helena, my soppy, snuggly, smooshy, wouldn't-say-boo-to-a-ghost, rabbit got a mouthful of me instead of her usual science selective this morning! She was very apologetic afterwards (groomed my wound, or perhaps she was sating her bloodlust :lol:).

Just goes to show that even the gentlest, most patient rabbits get overexcited, put their teeth in the wrong place, and just have plain old grumpy days where they want to be left alone! And it'll teach me for feeding them at 5am when her ladyship is having her mad half hour!

So true xx I have a ten mth old son and he isn't allowed near the bunnies un supervised . The rabbits are my hobby but I want him to learn respect for animal but I would never leave him with them as I learnt yesterday whilst cleaning out the shed and got bit on my bum :shock: xx

quite right. i've had so many nasty bites from my mini-lop tabitha (only one of my four actually bites, though the others will give a little nip), that i feel sick when i see people leaving toddlers with their giant breeds. 'oh, they're so cute together'. yes, they might look cute but that bun could rip half your child's face off. i remember seeing an injury where an adult had been bitten on the lip by her French lop. Her face was torn and she needed a lot of stitches.

hope you are soon recovered. xxx

So true xx I have a ten mth old son and he isn't allowed near the bunnies un supervised . The rabbits are my hobby but I want him to learn respect for animal but I would never leave him with them as I learnt yesterday whilst cleaning out the shed and got bit on my bum :shock: xx

phahahaha :lol: sorry but that was just too funny :lol:

I hope you all recover soon! Them pesky wabbits have vewwy sharp tooths as I also am aware. And claws - and that was from last week when Thumper took umbrance to me putting cream on her feet, so I sympathise with you all.

Ow! She was just a bit over enthusiastic :shock:
I'm actually always surprised that mine are so careful about not biting me when it comes to pellets- they're crazy about their pellets.:lol:

I disagree about not being ideal with kids though. I've never went a day without buns since I was like 2 years old and I got loads of scratches from my buns, didn't stop me from loving them! I got plenty of wounds from my other pets aswell, never bothered me much. Still doesn't, even though I get daily bites/bruises/scratches from my ducks.:lol:

I get regularly moved out the way when cleaning out the hutch if I leave the runaround tunnel off and they have a short cut in to,see what I'm up to :roll: had my foot nibbled yesterday :roll: I was in the way again :lol:

Glad to say the worst nip was a "put me down NOW" nip and didn't break the skin thankfully :)

That must be sore now tho :( definite OUCH :shock: maybe invest in some chain mail gauntlets to be on the safe side :thumb:

My first rabbit, Baby, oh was she a right terror! Fiery, feisty, a bully and undoubtably the boss, she bit me all the frickin' time! I was only ten when I got her, far too young truthfully for a rabbit I truly admit (I was mostly a mature child, very good with hamsters, but my parents were well meaning but sadly ignorant in letting me get one), and had malocclusion and was very, very grumpy at the best of times. She would bite me in passing, in displeasure and in general disgust for my existence. She was such a character, and didn't put me off buns at all!

Curiously enough, she and Amy, my current one, were both dwarf lops, and Amy is the opposite extreme; she's a serious contender to gentlest, sweetest, most inoffensive rabbit on the planet. She has nipped me a couple of times, but the roughest she gets is when she's grooming me; see, she loves to lick my hand, so whenever she sits next to me I hold one up for her to lick (and nudge to get head pats and nose skritches), but sometimes she sort of scratches at my hand if it's low to the ground, digging/bringing it towards and under her to 'kidnap'. It can get painful sometimes, the daft dear.

My neices aren't allowed in my room without asking me to take them up there. Charlie will nip any little (or big) fingers threw the bars to their pen. He's not nasty at all, just curious I think. Never broke skin but I'm not willing to risk that, and I especially don't want my neices to become scared of them, or any animal.
When I take them up to see the buns I let them give them a fibrefirst stick (to calm the buns down :lol: ) and if they want to stroke them, I make them sit down and wait for the buns to come to them.

Back