• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed roof leaking :( *PIC OF ROOF ADDED*

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I've only had the shed a few months, and I did buy it as a 'seconds' and it was described as having lots of knot holes that will be filled which most if them were and I filled the ones in the floor. There's been a few spots in the walls that have leaked water when it's rained a lot but I intend to fill them and possibly paint the outside of the shed too if we get any decent weather, for extra protection. But this last week we've had really heavy rain and a leak has appeared in the roof :( I don't understand this as it had roofing felt, do any of the hutch builders have any advice? I'm not sure if the felt is in two sections, hard to see from my upstairs window! Going to get the ladders out as soon as I get chance and have a proper look. One of my hutches had roofing felt in two parts but it went all of that bad winter uncovered and never once leaked! Will I be able to just use sealer on the inside or do I need to look at getting it re-felted? An expense I could do without by the way :shock: I haven't been in touch with the seller and I threw my receipt out so don't think there'll be much point :(

Last edited:
I can't say without seeing a photo, maybe you can link to a thread with them on?

Some reason it will leak, damaged felt, not attached correctly, gap between panels and roof, or just gaps etc.

If you can see any light from inside it means there is a gap, you could have nailed it wrong, or nail cut though the felt etc.
If i can help i will try but would need to see some pictures to get the best idea.

I think you bought it through ebay? If so then you should be able to prove your purchase that way :thumb: hope it's something easily fixed

I can't say without seeing a photo, maybe you can link to a thread with them on?

Some reason it will leak, damaged felt, not attached correctly, gap between panels and roof, or just gaps etc.

If you can see any light from inside it means there is a gap, you could have nailed it wrong, or nail cut though the felt etc.
If i can help i will try but would need to see some pictures to get the best idea.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't put the shed together, they did so not sure but there's no gaps that I can c in the 'ceiling' where the first leak started there is a bit of a notch out of the edge of one of the strips where there was a knot but u can't see daylight so I would presume the felt should cover it but this morn it absolutely poured it down (woke me up at 5am :shock:) and there's another damp bit now. Just worried that it's not going to hold up to the weather, it's not too much of an issue now but needs sorting or it'll just get worse I presume?! I'll take pics as soon as I can, it's typical I'm mad busy working all wknd aswell as in the wk so not going to get much chance to look in daylight.

I think you bought it through ebay? If so then you should be able to prove your purchase that way :thumb: hope it's something easily fixed

I didn't actually purchase it through eBay, I contacted the seller and just dealt with them directly :( I might get in touch and just see what they say, I might be lucky and they come back to fix it!

I thought it was second hand sorry.
In that case it there is any hole in roof then it’s their fault and they need to sort it.
But this is one of the problems with buying sheds (cheap or not) for pets.

Yes it will get worse the longer you leave it, plus damp could allow mould to grow.
When you get pictures i'll have a good look and offer as much advice as i can give.

I didn't actually purchase it through eBay, I contacted the seller and just dealt with them directly :( I might get in touch and just see what they say, I might be lucky and they come back to fix it!

It's worth a try. Also you could let them know that you'd recommended them previously on the forum when you were happy with it .....

I thought it was second hand sorry.
In that case it there is any hole in roof then it’s their fault and they need to sort it.
But this is one of the problems with buying sheds (cheap or not) for pets.

Yes it will get worse the longer you leave it, plus damp could allow mould to grow.
When you get pictures i'll have a good look and offer as much advice as i can give.

No they were sold as seconds because if the knot holes, I think they r made from wood that isn't good enough and would otherwise be discarded. It is tanalised wood so should hold up to some dampness but it does need sorting I know :(

No they were sold as seconds because if the knot holes, I think they r made from wood that isn't good enough and would otherwise be discarded. It is tanalised wood so should hold up to some dampness but it does need sorting I know :(

Tanalised is the treatment and normally comes with 10 or so year anti-rot warranty but mould can still grow on the timber if its wet.
I don't think they should be selling or making anything from wood not good enough.

Tanalised is the treatment and normally comes with 10 or so year anti-rot warranty but mould can still grow on the timber if its wet.
I don't think they should be selling or making anything from wood not good enough.

What I mean is because of the knot holes, and they seem to have used smaller strips inside in parts than what would normally be used. The wood itself is fine with the holes covered. Obviously it's not perfect but I could have never afforded such a large shed otherwise. But obviously it's no good if it's not going to last! Fingers crossed it's easily fixed :roll:

I would imagine it's the felt, can't see anything overly terrible in that pic. Don't get someone else to do it for you, just buy a roll of felt and some tacks from B&Q. It'll cost no more than about 30 quid and it's really easy to do. I re-felted our shed roof a couple of years ago with literally no experience at all.

I would imagine it's the felt, can't see anything overly terrible in that pic. Don't get someone else to do it for you, just buy a roll of felt and some tacks from B&Q. It'll cost no more than about 30 quid and it's really easy to do. I re-felted our shed roof a couple of years ago with literally no experience at all.

Thanks I've yet to price up the felt I thought it would cost more than that! I'm going to get the ladders out and have a proper look at the felt as soon as I get chance. Need some decent weather!!

Just remember to lay the first piece of felt at the lowest point of the roof, and work up to the highest point, overlapping the top piece over the bottom piece :thumb:.

Just remember to lay the first piece of felt at the lowest point of the roof, and work up to the highest point, overlapping the top piece over the bottom piece :thumb:.

Hmm I wonder if that's the prob, maybe they put the roof on the wrong way round? One side is missing a bit of wood on the edging but didn't bother me as it's on the side u can't see but now I'm wondering if they thought oh we best put that side where it won't be seen and didn't check which way the felt was running :roll:

Pic of the roof - realised I could see it from outside the garden :lol:

Not sure now about my theory of roof being put on the wrong way, as the felt runs over the back, looks like it's laid the right way? But it's in 3 parts :roll:

I would just refelt the roof straight over the top of that one, its very cheap to buy x

Thanks, would u just tack it over the edges where they've out the wood, or remove the wood? I know it looks nicer with the wooden edges but not sure I can be bothered :oops:

Back