• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

have any of you used aloe for your rabbits health?

BerryJane

Alpha Buck
As the title says really.

A friend of mine works for forever living who work with aloe in a variety of products. Chatting to her yesterday she mentioned that there is a product that can help arthritis. I jokingly said ' Berry could do with some of that' when she told me that they do have vets support with their products and they are suitable for animals.

I will try anything and obviously will check with the vets today but just wondered if any one has experience of using it.

Thanks x x

As the title says really.

A friend of mine works for forever living who work with aloe in a variety of products. Chatting to her yesterday she mentioned that there is a product that can help arthritis. I jokingly said ' Berry could do with some of that' when she told me that they do have vets support with their products and they are suitable for animals.

I will try anything and obviously will check with the vets today but just wondered if any one has experience of using it.

Thanks x x

Is this the forever living products? I sell them, I know products can be used on dogs. They have a vet who can be contacted by sellers for advice on using the products with animals

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

For some reason I always thought Aloe was toxic to bunnies, but I don't know where I got that from. :?

Yes it's the forever living products.

I dont know if toxic, just knew that could be used on animals. But of course rabbits being the awkward devils that they are, it would be typical if it was toxic.

I am just ready to try anything at all that we haven't already tried.

Any others know about whether it's toxic? Will do some more Googleing!!

Thanks x x

Just read a few articles. It would appear that the leaves ate poisonous but the gel is not. Hmm sounds a bit confusing and will def need to do a bit more checking - and vet consulting too! X x

Yes it's the forever living products.

I dont know if toxic, just knew that could be used on animals. But of course rabbits being the awkward devils that they are, it would be typical if it was toxic.

I am just ready to try anything at all that we haven't already tried.

Any others know about whether it's toxic? Will do some more Googleing!!

Thanks x x

At a guess, if aloe plants are toxic, then the products can't be used on rabbitals.

I can vouch for these products working for people, and dogs though, I use them everyday and my mam used a few for our elderly dog before she was PTS :thumb:

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

I know someone who sells the 'Forever Living' aloe as well :)

I have given my rabbits aloe vera internally for years and only had good effects. I haven't tried topical aloe on them .. I would be interested to see how it could be used in that way.

I've used quite a few alternative remedies over the years with small animals but have always been too wary of aloe vera (internally anyway).

So some yes, wary and no. That just about sums up the complex nature of rabbits!!:D

This may sound bad now and I hope my intentions are understood but we are really running out of options for Berry (see other thread on him) so I kind of think it's worth the risk as I don't know how long we can go on like this with him. Obviously I wouldn't knowingly feed him poison but if the jury is out then....... Maybe.

Will chat to vets at 4 and see what he thinks.

Cheers again all x x.

I know what you mean. That's how I ended up discovering that peppermint tea is really good for bunny tummies many years ago - it was desperate times, and I was about to call the vets to get Clover put to sleep. The peppermint tea saved her life! :shock:

Not sure that aloe vera has a great record with arthritis though, in humans. :?

We were like that with tillie. She had dreadful sneezing fits, so bad she chipped a bone in her nose bless her. She was on anti biotics so often then the vet suggested piriton. She had an eighth of a tiny tablet daily and never sneezed again - truly marvelous.

I have read up and seen people that have had benefits. It won't cure him but even a little benefit would be great. Also read an article on a horse who had aloe for arthritis and it helped him loads. Just neeeeeeed to try something. :roll:

Thanks for those links.

We have been given the go ahead by our vet to try the aloe and Berry has taken a bit on some raspberry leaves and parsley. We wait and see.

This is our last chance I fear as we did discuss the alternative last night. I really hope it gives him even a few more weeks of comfort and enables us to continue spoiling him rotten!

Will keep you posted. X x

Thanks for those links.

We have been given the go ahead by our vet to try the aloe and Berry has taken a bit on some raspberry leaves and parsley. We wait and see.

This is our last chance I fear as we did discuss the alternative last night. I really hope it gives him even a few more weeks of comfort and enables us to continue spoiling him rotten!

Will keep you posted. X x

Any update on Berry?

Hi,

We have been using the aloe for 2 weeks now, dribbled on parsley or coriander. It's not the nicest stuff - we are taking it to but I think he consumes most of it.

We have seen such a difference in him.

His movement is better - not brilliant but improved.

He cleans himself more easily - occasionally I still need to help but nowhere near as much, when at my most worried he would just lie there covered.

His whole attitude and demeanor is back where he was. Happy, alert, responsive, nosey, stroppy if something bothers him.

He has really bad arthritis and needs extra care and support. Us giving it to him has never been an issue. Him having a happy, interesting - if different life has been our concern. In the last 2 weeks we have not once felt the need to put him out of any suffering. We take it day by day and know that at some point he may deteriorate but for now - we have our boy back.

We will never 'know' if it's the aloe or whether he would gave improved anyway. He is off tramadol and carteophen buy still has his metacam daily. We gave him a break from acupuncture too as I wanted 2 weeks of things being stress free for him but we have just had a session and will probably continue that fortnightly.

I am so impressed that I am joining the forever living business today. :) :).

Thank you so much for asking after my boy.

Last edited:
That's brilliant news!

Can't say that I've ever noticed anything with joints and aloe vera (although I do think it's great for the stomach), but so glad it's working out.

Hi,

We have been using the aloe for 2 weeks now, dribbled on parsley or coriander. It's not the nicest stuff - we are taking it to but I think he consumes most of it.

We have seen such a difference in him.

His movement is better - not brilliant but improved.

He cleans himself more easily - occasionally I still need to help but nowhere near as much, when at my most worried he would just lie there covered.

His whole attitude and demeanor is back where he was. Happy, alert, responsive, nosey, stroppy if something bothers him.

He has really bad arthritis and needs extra care and support. Us giving it to him has never been an issue. Him having a happy, interesting - if different life has been our concern. In the last 2 weeks we have not once felt the need to put him out of any suffering. We take it day by day and know that at some point he may deteriorate but for now - we have our boy back.

We will never 'know' if it's the aloe or whether he would gave improved anyway. He is off tramadol and carteophen buy still has his metacam daily. We gave him a break from acupuncture too as I wanted 2 weeks of things being stress free for him but we have just had a session and will probably continue that fortnightly.

I am so impressed that I am joining the forever living business today. :) :).

Thank you so much for asking after my boy.

That is great news :thumb: I'm so pleased for you :thumb: my sister does Forever living, and she loves it. Yes the aloe gel isnt the best tasting stuff :mrgreen: but I mix it into some orange and mango juice, and it's fine then. Or I hold my nose when I drink it :lol:

That's brilliant news!

Can't say that I've ever noticed anything with joints and aloe vera (although I do think it's great for the stomach), but so glad it's working out.

Thank you. X x

There are different products from forever living with the aloe and the one we use is specifically for mobility. It's all round goodness too but helps joints.
The variety of products is amazing. X x

That is great news :thumb: I'm so pleased for you :thumb: my sister does Forever living, and she loves it. Yes the aloe gel isnt the best tasting stuff :mrgreen: but I mix it into some orange and mango juice, and it's fine then. Or I hold my nose when I drink it :lol:

Thank you x x

My husband and I drink it too but have a treat waiting for after......:lol:

I can't wait to start my business, it sounds an amazing company to be involved with. Does your sister have her own busines, if so where is she based? . X x

Back