• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6'x3' or 7'x2'?

Snowy's Mum

Young Bun
Pondering new hutch for Snowy - he's out all day in the garden with free access to his hutch and is only shut in at night. Would you say the 6x3 would be better as it has more overall floor space (18 square feet) or the 7x2 because he could do more consecutive hops (although only 14 square feet)? The extra 4 square feet seems a decent extra amount of space plus he could stretch out more easily in any direction (he's a French Lop), but I know consecutive hops are important too. I can't make my mind up :roll: What do you think?

For a French lop I wouldn't go for any less than a 7x3x3 ft hutch or an 8x3x3ft hutch.

I don't think 2ft height will be high enough for a French lop.

Yep, I think you're right, Tonibun. And as he has so much exercise in the daytime, plenty space to stretch out in the night, or when he wants in the day, is probably more important than the consecutive hops - thanks for helping me think that through :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, that's a good point, Jackaroonie. His present hutch is 2ft high and he can stand on hind legs, though admittedly not stretch up. I must stress he has the run of the garden all day and is only shut in at night, but I do take your point and I will take that into account. Thanks :)

Oops, seem to have deleted my original post :-/ For anyone else reading, I was pondering the size of hutch for overnight accommodation for my French Lop who has free run of garden all day.

Oops, seem to have deleted my original post :-/ For anyone else reading, I was pondering the size of hutch for overnight accommodation for my French Lop who has free run of garden all day.

Your original post is still there :wave:

I would go for the 6x3. You also need to be able to get into it to clean it out, so you would probably find the extra headroom useful as well - so another vote for 3' high.

This is the inside of one of the 6x3x3ft hutches i've done:

14120831516_876c6590c2_n.jpg

This is just to give you an idea of the height and size wise.

That's another good point, Shimmer. I'll definitely go for 3ft high - for my sale as well as his :). Jackaroonie, this is my first time on Tapatalk and I keep pressing wrong buttons, etc :-/The title is still there but the rest seems to have gone, typical me, not to worry :)

Sake not sale - see what I mean?! Daniel, that looks good - do you make them to sell? I've been looking on the Welfare Hutch Company website as they're near me.

Sake not sale - see what I mean?! Daniel, that looks good - do you make them to sell? I've been looking on the Welfare Hutch Company website as they're near me.

Yes, it's just my standard hutch, link in sig if you want to have a look around.

I'd say 7x2 because if he's wanting exercise he's going to go from one end of the hutch to the other, not from front to back, so yeah I'd chose the extra consecutive hop length over a bit of extra depth. Plus two foot deep hutches can be hard enough to clean, I imagine that a three foot deep hutch would be almost impossible especially if you've got little arms like me

Would it be possible for you to get your rabbit a shed instead of a hutch?

Although he is only shut in overnight that is still quite a few hours and rabbits can be quite active during that time :wave:

A shed would be a great idea if you have the space, you could go and sit in there with him then, and there would be space for him to have a friend ;)

Decisions, decisions... I do think a shed has a lot of good points, but it would have to be at the bottom of our garden, whereas the hutch is in a sheltered spot by the back door and I like it being so close... Also contemplating connecting new hutch to old hutch: it's only 6x2 (I know it's too small, that's why I'm getting new one), but connected to a minimum of 6x3, that would give extra hopping space and stretch-in-any-direction space... I think this is beginning to sound like a plan :) Thanks for all your comments, I do appreciate you taking the time xx

I don't think 2ft deep is big enough for her to stretch out in width-ways, so out of the two I'd say the 6x3 hutch would be better. I think you would have to get it made 3ft high too, as they do need to be able to stretch up. 6ft length is small for a french lop, but I think your idea of attaching the two is fantastic :) I would look at a runaround tunnel to do that, or if you get a welfare hutch I believe they do their own version. It would give a much bigger space for her and the tunnel is great for enrichment. As rabbits are mainly active at night and dawn, it is important to give them lots of space at these times, so that would be an ideal solution. Alternatively, you could look at getting a run permanently attached to her hutch - lots of people let their rabbits have access to a run 24 hours a day.

I agree if your going for a hutch it needs to be 3ft high and 3ft wide at least, just make sure that if you buy a hutch it is 3ft tall.
As others have said a shed is good idea, or a kennel or even a hutch connected to your other hutch and then connected to a run would be great.

Back