• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wild rabbit with Myxomatosis?

rosebun

New Kit
Was out with the bunnies this afternoon and saw a wildie down in the field at the bottom of the garden. I thought it was odd as they usually run away as soon as they see me, so I went to have a look. I was only a few feet away before he moved, which was odd in itself, but when he turned to look at me, I saw his eyes were swollen shut, blood was coming from his nose and he was breathing very loudly/wheezing. He ran off, but couldn't figure out how to get through the gap in the fence and so I left him be. I'm fairly certain this is myxi, and quite advanced, by the look of it.

I'm not too worried about our buns, because they're vaccinated, but the neighbour's rabbits aren't and of course there's the nearby colony of wildies to worry about. What should I do about this poor little bun? I don't want him to pass it on to any more of them but I don't fancy my chances of seeing him again, let alone catching him.

Any suggestions?

The most humane thing to do would be to put an end to his/her suffering as quickly as possible. The colony are no doubt already affected, myxi is mostly spread by blood sucking insects such as mosquitoes and fleas.

With wildies who have Myxi catching them and transporting them to a Vet to be PTS is not always possible and can actually exacerbate suffering due to the stress and fear being captured would cause. So without wishing to cause distress to people reading this, a more direct action to end the suffering is often needed. Understandably not everyone is able to cope with that, so capture --> Vet would be necessary.

Although your Rabbits are vaccinated I would still flea treat them as an extra precaution and take steps to minimize the presence of mosquitoes by using netting over outdoor accommodation and getting rid of any standing water (which attracts mozzies). I would also warn the neighbours that their Rabbits are at severe risk from this very nasty disease and that getting them vaccinated is essential.

Last edited:
I see. In theory, I have nothing against putting sick animals out of their misery, but I'd have no idea how to do it in practice. I may call around and try to find somebody who has a little more experience in this area.

We don't live near any open water but I've netted their hutch and run just to be safe - they got flea treatment earlier in the week.

Thanks.

Poor poor bun :cry:
I dont think I would be able to take control and end his suffering by myself but it would probably be the kindest thing to do if done in one quick movement as it would be terrible to cause even more suffering if you do not kill it first time.

I agree with Jane, your buns SHOULD be fine as they are vacconated however vaccination for myxi is not 100% and they can get a lesser strain so de flea and use nettings and mozi deterrents.
Again I urge you to rell your neighbours that they are seriously risking their bunnies lives by not vaccinating.

give your vet a ring and see if they will PTS free for wildlife. some will. if you manage to catch him pop him in a cardboard box that can be disposed of after. if he has advanced myxi it is very unlikely poor little chap would be strong enough to get out of a cardboard box.

Our vet charges for wildie PTS - they're only a small practice so it's understandable. Even so, if I see him I'll certainly catch him. Poor thing, he could barely push his way through the long grass he was so sick, so no way he'd get out of a cardboard box.

I'll drop an email to my vet and let them know in advance.

I agree to warn your neighbours.
Last year oh found a rabbit like that he and his colleague caught it and look it to the vets to be pts. OH refused to touch the wildie or tango for that matter even though tango vaccinated. It certainly opened our eyes to how close myxi can come.

Back