• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scratching advice?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I'm probably just being over-worried here (as i'm sure we all get)

Milo, when he was out last night was scratching a LOT, he always scratches his ears, face and chin, he also sometimes shakes his head afterwards. :?

Do your rabbits do a lot of scratching? I'm watching closely to ensure he causes himself no damage and I have looked VERY closely and thoroughly at his fur and skin, there is nothing to be seen?

He doesn't seem uncomfortable or anything just he seems to do this a lot more than Finn.

Milo, when he was out last night was scratching a LOT, he always scratches his ears, face and chin, he also sometimes shakes his head afterwards. :?

Do your rabbits do a lot of scratching? I'm watching closely to ensure he causes himself no damage and I have looked VERY closely and thoroughly at his fur and skin, there is nothing to be seen?

He doesn't seem uncomfortable or anything just he seems to do this a lot more than Finn.

Hiya

My Flopsy does this and I have to monitor him for those mites that look like dandruff. They seem damn near impossible to get rid of! I don't know if in between the mite treatments whether he just does it out of habit?

Hope you get this sorted. :wave:

A bit of scratching goes along with cleaning, but best to have a good look for signs of mites in your case .. If you can take him to the vet and get his ears looked at too, so much the better.

if you suspect its excessive scratching, i'd pay a visit to vets to checks for mites,, depending on your bunnies colour it might be more difficult to spot...

Good luck
fee x

My Spenser scratches a lot. Behind his ear, under his ear, occasionally his chin. He nearly always licks his toes after scratching too. It doesn't seem to do him any harm, although judging from the way he reacts to the approach of brush or comb his skin is quite sensitive.

If this s new behaviour in Milo it could be a sign of discomfort and you are certainly right to keep an eye of his fur condition.

if you suspect its excessive scratching, i'd pay a visit to vets to checks for mites,, depending on your bunnies colour it might be more difficult to spot...

Good luck
fee x

Well, his fur is cream so it would be harder to spot if he did have anything going on. :roll:

I'm going to keep and eye on his fur and skin and give him a really good check morning and night for a couple of days. If he is still the same I am going to the vets. I am probably just being over cautious. He didn't scratch at all this morning when I was cleaning up and giving them breakfast.

He might have just been a bit itchy. My bunnies are still at bit patchy from the moult and they are grooming a fair bit but if it out of character, a quick vet trip for paranoia is loads better than chronic mites. :)

Back