• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay question

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I would love to take Talullah to John Chitty to be spayed BUT it's a 40/50 minute drive home I'm not sure that would be fair on her if she's feeling very sore and poorly :(
We have a local vet 10 minutes down the road, they have carried out dentals on my bunnies, admitted them when they have been in stasis and done a fab job, and they neutered Bear too.
I would be happier for JC to do it, but think it would be fairer on Talullah to have it done local.
What would you do??

I would use JC. Probably takes me 30-40 mins to get there, and I have travelled further to him before he settled in Andover.

Guess it is a case of who you trust - and I wouldn't trust anyone else. Don't forget, he also does his own out of hours, not sure whether your local vet does, so if there is a problem ....

I would travel to see the best vet :thumb: once she is in the carrier in the car probably the difference to her between 10 minutes or so to a local vet and 40/50 minutes to John Chitty won't matter too much.

I've traveled with rabbits a LOT. Several hour trips to several day trips. I've never had one even go off feed as a result of it. So unless you know she is phobic of the car or have had bad experiences with her after a car ride, I wouldn't sweat it, take her to the vet you feel most confident with.

I've driven rabbits for more than 40 minutes home from a surgery as well and never had any trouble.

Thanks for the answers going to book in with John :)

This is what I would do too - our vets can take up to an hour to get there in rush hour, but they are the best and after experiences with more local vets I won't take my bunnies anywhere else now.

Back